Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 12 Pro Max camera displays black screen, have to power cycle to correct. running 14.2.1

Seems related to using camera with locked Home Screen. Once it opens and all types of photo/video display black screen. A full power reset corrects.

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 29, 2020 6:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2021 6:54 AM

I spoke with Apple support last week. I have had three iPhone 12s, one of the regular size and two of the max, I had a broken screen and we shared the other one in our family. All three of the phones have had the same issue. I also uploaded a back up of my old phone when setting up all three of these phones up. Definitely indicated a software issue or a settings conflict. The Apple support rep had me “reset all settings“ and for over a week now this solved the problem. It is a little bit of a pain to have to reset all of your settings; however, it was worth it to me to not miss Those precious spontaneous moments with my daughter.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 25, 2021 6:54 AM in response to crazzmf

I spoke with Apple support last week. I have had three iPhone 12s, one of the regular size and two of the max, I had a broken screen and we shared the other one in our family. All three of the phones have had the same issue. I also uploaded a back up of my old phone when setting up all three of these phones up. Definitely indicated a software issue or a settings conflict. The Apple support rep had me “reset all settings“ and for over a week now this solved the problem. It is a little bit of a pain to have to reset all of your settings; however, it was worth it to me to not miss Those precious spontaneous moments with my daughter.

Dec 10, 2020 4:21 PM in response to crazzmf

Hi there, crazzmf.

Congratulations on your new iPhone 12 Pro Max!

It appears that you're having a problem using the camera from the Lock screen of your iPhone. Any type of photo or video you try to take opens to a blank screen, and we're glad to help with this.

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support -- Be sure to have a recent backup of your iPhone before proceeding.

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support -- Since restarting your iPhone seems to correct the issue for a time, we'd like you to reinstall iOS 14. Place your device in recovery mode using the steps provided. When you're presented with options, please choose "Update" and not "Restore". Once the process has completed, see if the issue has been resolved.

Feel free to get back to us with any questions or problems you may have.

Cheers!

Jan 25, 2021 6:35 AM in response to Sean_B1

Dear Apple,

This didnt work. I even got a new iPhone 12 Pro Max and experienced the same issue. After testing and troubleshooting (which Apple should have done) I figured out that when you make a video and change the fps from HD30 to HD60 and turn off camera, this seems to be the catalyst that causes the black screen. I will just "not" use the HD60 option.

iphone 12 Pro Max camera displays black screen, have to power cycle to correct. running 14.2.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.