Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I enable photos on my iCloud account on my Mac.

Hİ there. I am trying to download and backup all my photos from iCloud using my MacbookAir which is updated to the Big Sur and for some reason I can not not enable the photos section on iCloud. When I try to mark the checkbox next to the photos on the iCloud tab it says checking the library then does nothing and it stays unchecked. Just to make sure that I would face any conflicts I have deleted all the photos on my Mac which were different then the photos on my iCloud which were all shot with my phone ....

I have tried repairing my photo library and it didn't help either... :(

Please Help

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 2:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 3:39 AM

Is your current photos library your System Photos Library? Check, the Photos > Preferences > General. "Use as System Photos Library" should be greyed out. If it is not, click it.

Can you enable iCloud Photos in the System Preferences > AppleID > iCloud?

Check, if you can set the checkmark for Photos there, then try again in Photos > Preferences > iCloud.

You can only make the Photos Library your System Photos Library, if it is on a supported volume. The File System Format should be MacOS Extended (Journaled) or APFS, the volume must not have been used for Time Machine Backups or other backup software, the volume needs a wired connection (USB or Thunderbolt), not a network access (Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support).

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2020 3:39 AM in response to writerqueen

Is your current photos library your System Photos Library? Check, the Photos > Preferences > General. "Use as System Photos Library" should be greyed out. If it is not, click it.

Can you enable iCloud Photos in the System Preferences > AppleID > iCloud?

Check, if you can set the checkmark for Photos there, then try again in Photos > Preferences > iCloud.

You can only make the Photos Library your System Photos Library, if it is on a supported volume. The File System Format should be MacOS Extended (Journaled) or APFS, the volume must not have been used for Time Machine Backups or other backup software, the volume needs a wired connection (USB or Thunderbolt), not a network access (Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support).

Why can't I enable photos on my iCloud account on my Mac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.