Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cannot enable Photos to iCloud on Mac OS

I have a new laptop, set it up, with my Apple ID. I cannot enable Photos as an application that syncs with iCloud. Photos is working on my other devices, and has worked previously on my old Macbook. See attached image. I also cannot turn it on in the Photos app settings either.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Dec 24, 2022 9:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2022 9:52 AM

To be able to enable iCloud Photos, you need a system Photos Library on a compatible volume.

Open the Photos.app on your Mac, then open the Photos > Settings.

In the General tab of the Settings check, if your Photos Library is already enabled as your System Photos Library. If "Use as System Photos" Library is not yet dimmed, click it, to make your Photos Library your System Photos Library.

Then click the iCloud tab in the Photos > Settings, and try to enable iCloud Photos there. Does it work?

If you cannot even enable iCloud Photos directly in Photos, check the location of your Photos Library. Is it on a volume formatted APFS or MacOS Extended (Journaled) as it should be? Igf you keep it on an external volume, check, if the volume has been prepared as described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

And you will not be able to enable iCloud Photos, if you are not having enough free storage in your iCloud to hold all photos from your current system photos library.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 24, 2022 9:52 AM in response to WybeM

To be able to enable iCloud Photos, you need a system Photos Library on a compatible volume.

Open the Photos.app on your Mac, then open the Photos > Settings.

In the General tab of the Settings check, if your Photos Library is already enabled as your System Photos Library. If "Use as System Photos" Library is not yet dimmed, click it, to make your Photos Library your System Photos Library.

Then click the iCloud tab in the Photos > Settings, and try to enable iCloud Photos there. Does it work?

If you cannot even enable iCloud Photos directly in Photos, check the location of your Photos Library. Is it on a volume formatted APFS or MacOS Extended (Journaled) as it should be? Igf you keep it on an external volume, check, if the volume has been prepared as described here: Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

And you will not be able to enable iCloud Photos, if you are not having enough free storage in your iCloud to hold all photos from your current system photos library.

I cannot enable Photos to iCloud on Mac OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.