Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Brydge Stone Pro work with MacBook 2017?

I have just bought a new Bridge Stone Pro to work with my Macbook 12 " 2017 as all my other mult-iadaptor Ports without power have failed.

I thought thunderbolt and USB-C cables were interchangeable? Macbook 2017 has a USB-C not a thunderbolt.

However, it is now displaying the message, "CANNOT USE THUNDERBOLT ACCESSORY. THUNDERBOLT ACCESSORIES ARE NOT SUPPORTED ON THIS MAC."

However, whilst power is going into the device, neither my monitor nor the ethernet connection are working.

I have not yet upgraded to Big Sur, tho I see from a post one week ago, that a MacBook Pro user is having more problems after upgrading...

Help appreciated. I have contacted Brydge about this.

Thanks,

Jenni

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 6:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 12:19 PM

Thunderbolt carries substantially more data than USB-C (40 Gbps vs. 5 Gbps). Although the Stone Pro is a great dock (I have one), return it and get a USB-C dock. The Stone II is a USB-C dock that will work with your MacBook.

https://www.brydge.com/products/stone-2

Similar questions

12 replies

Dec 2, 2020 4:55 AM in response to neuroanatomist

yes... I have that cable too. Already order the Stone 2! Like the hdmi and the 2 x usbc. Weird they dropped the others but I can use one of my Not sure how much more pain I can take here ;)

I think I'm good with that. I like the HDMI, was a shame they haven't put it on the 3 and I guess my EarPods are wireless so I can manage without... I guess I could try connecting the FitFort (non-powered) multi-adaptor if I really needed a headphone socket, though I have to say that feels dangerous!... might try it for a laugh though. I need cheering up.

For any other Macbook users looking for this option, here are the 2 specs (from Brydge website today):

Stone II features 7 ports including 2 x USB-C, 3 x USB-A, 1 x HDMI, and 1 x Ethernet. Simply connect your external devices to the hub, connect your computer, and go.

Stone features three USB-A 3.1 ports, Mini DisplayPort, audio, ethernet, 87 W power supply and an SD Card reader as well as a USB-C 3.1 connection. Simply connect your external devices to the hub, connect your MacBook, and go.

Dec 2, 2020 4:57 AM in response to neuroanatomist

Aha, well I only have one monitor, so this is OK, but I didn't know I couldn't have two... trying to work out how the iPad Pro works as an external monitor, I was excited about that but apple support have warned me to be disappointed, and I've tried it once and it didn't seem too good.

If I can fix having two external hard drives plugged in at the same time, with the monitor and an ethernet cable then all will be truly well :)))))

Dec 3, 2020 6:33 AM in response to JenniJ

Even though the Stone 2 does not use an external power supply, it is handling 2 external hard drives and the monitor and the ethernet cable fine :)

I post this as my local computer guys told me I would definitely need a multi-hub with its own power supply to do this.

So, finally seems to be resolved! Looking forward to the return of regular time machine backups, it's been a while...

Thanks all for help. It's taken the global village to resolve this ;)

Dec 10, 2020 3:01 AM in response to JenniJ

Just FYI here and I am waiting to hear back from Brydge on this.

The 2 external hard drives, ethernet and screen were working fine.

However, on the 3rd USB port I added an external CD drive to write a CD and the whole thing overheated.

I left it, unplugged everything else and tried again. But it still didn't work.

So presently, which it's still an improvement, it doesn't fully work in the way I had hoped.

I will test the CD-writer with a direct USB cable and see how I get on with that.

I am quite astounded that there is not a lively debate here about this problem and need... I must be a very unusual user! ;)

Does Brydge Stone Pro work with MacBook 2017?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.