Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone contacts sync with Watch

my new Apple watch 6 won't get the contact list from my iPhone/Cloud: the received calls doesn't show the caller name; siri answer that he hasn't the contact I asked for

I tried a lot of things from watch app such as 1) asking the reset of synchronization, 2) changing from "like iPhone " to "customized" and vice versa the option of phone calendar and contacts, 3) hard reset watch/iPhone, 4) shut off watch/iPhone, 5) full charge both watch and iPhone; the above in any combination, waiting after each tentative to let time to the synchronization that... does not happen. I have always only the first 10 contacts of my address book. i try also to de-bound and re-bound the watch, setting it as "new" and not from backup....

Apple support indicated different solutions - within the above listed - that doesn't worked. please, help

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 10:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2020 3:31 AM

Solved passing from Outlook

I have Outlook in sync with iCloud for contact and calendar (I would like to have also Notes again, but it is not doable anymore)

1) I created a temporary contact folder in outlook

2) I move a slice of first 200 contacts from Outlook.iCloud.Contacts in Outlook to the newly created temporary Outlook folder (the issue with my watch was that only first 10 contacts was in the watch, so the error should be in the first contacts)

3) I checked the watch and..... the contacts was there! so I assumed that "disturbing" contact was in the slice I removed from Outlook.iCloud.Contacts

4) I moved in 5 slices back from Outlook temporary folder to the Outlook.iCloud.Contacts one and each time I checked the contacts in Watch: always there and always more!

5) at the end of Outlook.iCloud.Contacts restore with all the contact that I moved to the temporary folder i get a look to the results and to the numbers and I fund 2 strange things:

a) all the favorites contacts in the watch was there, but for one of that there was the number but not the name; the same contact everywere else (iCloud/iPhone/Outlook/watch...) is complete, but in the watch favorites it have this strange behaviour

b) after the "backup/restore" of contacts with Outlook I described above, the contact counters are:

Outlook 980

iPhone 975

iCloud 974

The different numbers could be due to the different "allowance" of the different applications, but it is strange that iPhone contains more contacts than the ones in iPhone. the contact more should be in the group of contacts that I have not touched with my exercise. And it is easy to think that do the same exercise with all the contacts will reduce further the number of contacts in iCloud and in my devices

I would like to suggest Apple to implement some contact verification software to mantain cleaned your address book, avoiding to loss some important personal contact (which contact has been removed by the performed contact cleaning?)

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2020 3:31 AM in response to MarcoSRoma

Solved passing from Outlook

I have Outlook in sync with iCloud for contact and calendar (I would like to have also Notes again, but it is not doable anymore)

1) I created a temporary contact folder in outlook

2) I move a slice of first 200 contacts from Outlook.iCloud.Contacts in Outlook to the newly created temporary Outlook folder (the issue with my watch was that only first 10 contacts was in the watch, so the error should be in the first contacts)

3) I checked the watch and..... the contacts was there! so I assumed that "disturbing" contact was in the slice I removed from Outlook.iCloud.Contacts

4) I moved in 5 slices back from Outlook temporary folder to the Outlook.iCloud.Contacts one and each time I checked the contacts in Watch: always there and always more!

5) at the end of Outlook.iCloud.Contacts restore with all the contact that I moved to the temporary folder i get a look to the results and to the numbers and I fund 2 strange things:

a) all the favorites contacts in the watch was there, but for one of that there was the number but not the name; the same contact everywere else (iCloud/iPhone/Outlook/watch...) is complete, but in the watch favorites it have this strange behaviour

b) after the "backup/restore" of contacts with Outlook I described above, the contact counters are:

Outlook 980

iPhone 975

iCloud 974

The different numbers could be due to the different "allowance" of the different applications, but it is strange that iPhone contains more contacts than the ones in iPhone. the contact more should be in the group of contacts that I have not touched with my exercise. And it is easy to think that do the same exercise with all the contacts will reduce further the number of contacts in iCloud and in my devices

I would like to suggest Apple to implement some contact verification software to mantain cleaned your address book, avoiding to loss some important personal contact (which contact has been removed by the performed contact cleaning?)

Dec 7, 2020 11:32 AM in response to MarcoSRoma

Hi there MarcoSRoma,

Thanks for the post! We understand you're having some issues with contacts on your Apple Watch. That's definitely an important function, and we'll be happy to see how we can assist. You've done some excellent troubleshooting already.

To double-check a few details, are you seeing similar results with any other types of data not syncing? Also, does Siri work for other functions as expected?

Which iPhone model and exact iOS version have you been using? Also, which watchOS version?

Also, in troubleshooting, did you double-check the watchOS section of this resource to make sure you've covered all of the steps here? If your iCloud Contacts, Calendars, or Reminders won’t sync

Let us know! Kind regards.

Dec 7, 2020 12:30 PM in response to ryane77

Dear Ryane, Thanks for your reply;

I have a call appointment tomorrow with an Apple engineer for the matter.

I should send some screenshot, provide the same information I posted here, allow a remote check of the device and... wait for the response

Anyway:

I do not face yet similar sync issue with other data

siri works for questions not related to contacts

IPhone 12 pro max iOS 14.2.1

watch 6 watchOS 7.1

I had a look to the link you give, and I don’t know how to check the sizes (bytes total/per group/per picture, etc) of my 981 contacts.

In case I’ll solve with mentioned engineer I’ll reply here

in case you have some indication more... You will be welcome as well as anybody that would help to fix the defect

thanks

iPhone contacts sync with Watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.