Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Non-Apple Apps installing aliases instead of programs into the Applications Folder

I have a new MacBook running 10.15.7. When I install a non-Apple apps, like DxO PhotoLab 4 or BBedit, the installation appears to proceed as normal. But it results in the installed app's ALIAS being put in the applications folder. An attempt to open the app with that results in the app attempting to open from the installation .dmg file. This is bewildering. I've been installing programs on various Mac machines for 20 years and never encountered this before. How do I get my non-Apple apps installed?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 12:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 9:46 AM

After some trial and error, I've fixed the problem. I don't know the exact technical details why, but Catalina does not properly install non-Apple, third-party programs. Whatever permissions changes the Apple crew made in this OS prevents a new program from being dragged from the .dmg installer image file into the applications folder. If it IS dragged in, it becomes an alias file and the program is not actually installed. The solution turned out to be relatively simple:

- Open the .dmg installer

- Drag the program icon to the desktop (not into the applications folder).

- Click it open so the actual install can occur

- Then drag the program from the desktop into the applications folder. That's it.

This effected various programs I was trying to install on my new MacBook Pro including DxO PhotoLab 4, PhotoMechanic 6, Max Bulk Mailer, BBedit and several others. It seems surprising that Apple appears to have not made any effort to inform users about this but also provides no information on how to overcome this maddeningly frustrating barrier to installation anywhere on its website that I could find.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2020 9:46 AM in response to HoagL

After some trial and error, I've fixed the problem. I don't know the exact technical details why, but Catalina does not properly install non-Apple, third-party programs. Whatever permissions changes the Apple crew made in this OS prevents a new program from being dragged from the .dmg installer image file into the applications folder. If it IS dragged in, it becomes an alias file and the program is not actually installed. The solution turned out to be relatively simple:

- Open the .dmg installer

- Drag the program icon to the desktop (not into the applications folder).

- Click it open so the actual install can occur

- Then drag the program from the desktop into the applications folder. That's it.

This effected various programs I was trying to install on my new MacBook Pro including DxO PhotoLab 4, PhotoMechanic 6, Max Bulk Mailer, BBedit and several others. It seems surprising that Apple appears to have not made any effort to inform users about this but also provides no information on how to overcome this maddeningly frustrating barrier to installation anywhere on its website that I could find.

Non-Apple Apps installing aliases instead of programs into the Applications Folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.