Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Trying to run app opens DMG file

I'm new to mac (MacBook Pro), so I have a bit to learn. When I download an app (DMG file), I move it to the Applications folders, where it appears to install. But when I return and try to open the app from the Applications folder, the window in the attached screenshot appears. Maybe this is normal, but I thought that the app itself would open directly. Instead, I double click the icon in the window, but then decline to change the app's settings. Thanks.

MacBook Pro (M2 Pro, 2023)

Posted on Jul 24, 2023 11:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2023 1:06 PM

J1-Helena wrote:

Thanks, but when I double click the DMG, a window opens and states that "The settings pane you are installing is already installed. Do you want to replace the existing settings pane?" I click cancel, as I don't want to lose my settings, and then the app appears. A disk icon also appears on the desktop with the app's name. Should I choose to replace the settings pane?

That means you've already installed the item in Settings. To access it, you go to Settings, not the Application folder. You will never see settings in the Applications folder.

Customize your Mac with System Settings - Apple Support

The disk icon is the running .dmg file.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2023 1:06 PM in response to J1-Helena

J1-Helena wrote:

Thanks, but when I double click the DMG, a window opens and states that "The settings pane you are installing is already installed. Do you want to replace the existing settings pane?" I click cancel, as I don't want to lose my settings, and then the app appears. A disk icon also appears on the desktop with the app's name. Should I choose to replace the settings pane?

That means you've already installed the item in Settings. To access it, you go to Settings, not the Application folder. You will never see settings in the Applications folder.

Customize your Mac with System Settings - Apple Support

The disk icon is the running .dmg file.

Jul 24, 2023 1:38 PM in response to J1-Helena

Settings panes belong in Settings. Applications belong in the Applications folder. It appears that what you were installing is the settings pane for a mouse. So, it's right where it belongs.

When you click on an installer, it installs things exactly where they are supposed to go. Let them do that. If you are installing an application, you will find generally find it in the Applications folder. If you're installing a settings pane, you'll find it in Settings. If you're installing a browser extension, you'll access it through the browser. On some occasions, the installer will ask you where you want to put something but that's not common. They will generally tell you where the item is being installed.

I strongly recommend that you review the Mac User Guide. It has lots of helpful information, including lots of very basic stuff.

macOS User Guide - Apple Support

Jul 24, 2023 1:03 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Jul 24, 2023 1:16 PM in response to J1-Helena

What app? You appear to be installing a settings pane. You leave it exactly where it was installed or it won't work. Settings panes are installed into Settings. You access them by opening Settings and then going to that pane. They do not live in the Applications folder.

Once it is installed and you've checked you can access it through Settings, you can delete the .dmg.

Jul 25, 2023 6:31 AM in response to J1-Helena

J1-Helena wrote:

Thanks again! Yes, the User Guide is a must. I'm coming from a few dozen years with Windows, but Win 11 and MS's intrusiveness was the last straw. BTW, for some reson I couldn't post on my Mac, as I kept getting a message that my post couldn't be saved and telling me to try again later. I had to post from Windows!

That sounds like a big adjustment! But, if you keep at it, you'll get it. Come back any time and ask questions.

It sounds as if the forum software was having one of its occasional lapses. Try logging out and logging back in.

Trying to run app opens DMG file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.