Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I display filename in song list? Or how to ensure all track files are centralized?

I'm not sure that all of the files in my Music library are correctly collected into the Music folder. To see if this is true, I would like to display the filenames in the Song List. But I don't see a column for this. Is this possible?

I was thinking of trying to export the playlist of all of my tracks, because that information is in there, but when I try, Music hangs trying to write the textual export file.

Any suggestions?

I could skip the inspection of all of the files, if there was a command that would move all the music files in my library that aren't in the library folder, into that folder. I can see how to ensure that the music files are put in that folder when they are added, but not how to move them if they are already added.

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 1:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2020 4:22 PM

Thank you very much -- "Consolidate" did the trick.

But I did find a solution to the question of getting the file name, although a roundabout one:

1. Select the "Songs" option in the library
  2. Do "Export Playlist", choosing text as the output format
  3. This gives a tab-separated file with information about all the tracks. One of the columns in this record (you can load it into a spreadsheet program like Numbers) gives the filename.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 4, 2020 4:22 PM in response to ed2345

Thank you very much -- "Consolidate" did the trick.

But I did find a solution to the question of getting the file name, although a roundabout one:

1. Select the "Songs" option in the library
  2. Do "Export Playlist", choosing text as the output format
  3. This gives a tab-separated file with information about all the tracks. One of the columns in this record (you can load it into a spreadsheet program like Numbers) gives the filename.

How do I display filename in song list? Or how to ensure all track files are centralized?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.