Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2020 27" iMac display gets half opaque when shutting down computer

2020 27" iMac display gets half opaque when shutting down computer as seen below. I already went through disk utility to see if there were any issues, as well as erasing the drive and re-installing MacOS (Big Sur) and restoring from a Time Machine Backup.

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 3:23 PM

47 replies

Jan 19, 2021 2:36 PM in response to fjho2000

Boot into Safe Mode by booting with the Shift key held down and check there to see if the problem persists.  Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Feb 12, 2021 2:07 PM in response to Studioviv

I updated to 11.2.1 and am still having the issues. Before the update, I had tried different channels and I received a call from Apple on the matter - the person was not an engineer - but based upon what I had shared, including the picture and the description, he felt confident this is a software issue and that it doesn’t affect performance, but I told him that I didn’t pay +$2,000 for an iMac to have this issue and that I didn’t know if it would lead to future problems. He told me he will share the list with the engineers so they can figure it out and asked me as well to provide this type feedback through https://www.apple.com/feedback/ as the forums might/might not be seen. I’m glad he called and listened, hopefully it will be addressed in a future software update.

Apr 30, 2021 9:45 AM in response to DrSrinivasKT

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and check again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

May 3, 2021 10:22 AM in response to dingoe

I don't see any of the usual bad actor suspects in the report but there are a couple of items that are unnecessary: ClamXAV and Tunnelblick.

There is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus, VPN or security apps on your Mac.  This user tip describes what you need to know and do in order to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community.  

There are no known viruses, i.e. self propagating, for Macs.  There are, however, adware and malware which require the user to install although unwittingly most of the time thru sneaky links, etc.   

Anti Virus developers try to group all types as viruses into their ad campaigns of fear.  They do a poor job of the detecting and isolating the adware and malware.  Since there are no viruses these apps use up a lot of system resources searching for what is non-existent and adversely affect system and app performance.

There is one app, Malwarebytes, which was developed by a long time contributor to these forums and a highly respected member of the computer security community, that is desshoigned solely to seek out adware and known malware and remove it.  The free version is more than adequate for most users.  

Additionally unless you're using a true VPN tunnel, such as between you and your employer's or bank's servers, they are useless from a privacy standpoint: Public VPN's are anything but private.  

I recommend you remove both according to the developer's instructions.

Mar 1, 2021 10:16 AM in response to fjho2000

Download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the Etrecheck's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click and read the About info to further permit full disk access.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to include the report in your reply.

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine what might be causing the problem.

Mar 22, 2021 9:22 AM in response to aaw12

Download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck in the Etrecheck's Privacy preference pane so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

Also click and read the About info to further permit full disk access.

Copy the report

and use the Additional Text button to include the report in your reply.

Then we can examine the report and see if we can determine what might be causing the problem.

Dec 15, 2020 8:03 AM in response to ifd66

I just reset the PRAM, but will not shut it down until it finishes backing up. What I have noticed with my iMac is that it doesn't do that all the time, and if I turn it on and shut it down within minutes, I don't have the issue, but when its on for over 15-20 minutes or more, it has that issue. I will also see if there is a difference by turning it on in safe mode and leaving it on.

Dec 26, 2020 4:10 AM in response to fjho2000

Mine too. It doesn't do it if shutting down quickly. Also it stopped after shutting down after safe mode but has reverted to doing it after the next regular boot up.

Does this suggest its a piece of software causing a conflict with the split screen function - which I never use?

Very annoying problem and very little other information out there it seems.

Dec 29, 2020 3:01 PM in response to ifd66

Contacted Apple support today, and after explaining the situation, sharing pictures and even provided a link to this topic in the Apple community so they would see there is at least another computer with this issue, they asked me to first start up in safe mode (to which I replied I had already done and the issue didn't appear) and after reset the SMC. Did both again, but it did nothing. I will contact them tomorrow to set up an appointment for service

Dec 29, 2020 5:11 PM in response to fjho2000

Thanks for the feedback and time spent on the issue. If you do manage to contact them again it would be useful to know whether there is a possibility it's a hardware issue. My iMac is only 2 months old.

Also safe mode turns off most stuff, but to be useful, it needs to be able to identify what the problem software is.

Dec 29, 2020 5:26 PM in response to ifd66

Yes, it’s frustrating to me as well as I got it in October. There are several users with the same issue on two different threads at the macrumors forum (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/imac-screen-is-imac-darker-on-one-side-than-the-other.2277593/) just in case you want to check it out. The specs for those 2020 27” iMacs vary but show the same behavior, I don’t know if it has to do with the True Tone...

2020 27" iMac display gets half opaque when shutting down computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.