Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Muffled sound through Apple CarPlay usb

It seems as soon as I updated to IOS 14, the sound quality of Spotify in my car sounds muffled when I connect via usb rather though Bluetooth. At first I realized it was saying Spotify was using my microphone, and I thought that was the problem so I toggled off the slider in settings. I don’t think that has anything to do with it, seeing as how I’m still having issues with the sound. The sound is fine when playing through Bluetooth, but as soon as I connect to usb/Apple CarPlay, the sound gets way lower and sounds muffled. I thought it could be my usb charger or port, but I’ve plugged the charger into different ports and still have the same issue. I haven’t tried a different cord so it could be that. Any help/ideas would be appreciated.

iPhone X, iOS 14

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 4:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2021 4:38 PM

Terry your response is complete ****. Don’t bother commenting unless you have a fix.

Similar questions

30 replies

Jan 14, 2021 3:08 PM in response to Eric--F

Hi Eric,

I'm having the same problem that Crabapple22 is having. For me, it is all music on my phone, not just Spotify. I've tried Apple Music as well, with no improvement in the sound.

Some other symptoms I've had include Siri not giving voice directions while I'm playing music from my phone. However, Siri does work if I'm listening to the radio.

Also, I have a 2018 Mazda CX-3 and confirmed that the CarPlay system is up to date as of last week. It does not have Bluetooth connection available for CarPlay. I noticed that it seems like the sound is going through a different channel in the system. Typically, it looks like music goes through a speaker channel (speaker icon shown when changing volume) and Siri goes through the navigation channel (maps/nav icon shown). Now, the sound looks like it goes through a microphone channel, since that's the icon that's shown.

Just this last weekend, I tried my wife's phone in my car on a road trip with no problems.

I hope this helps with some more information for you to diagnose. My next step is to take my phone into a Store to see if there's a problem with it.

Thanks for your help!

Feb 6, 2021 7:40 PM in response to Crabapple22

I’m having the same issue I have a 2020 Jeep Wrangler and when I use Bluetooth the music is clear and crisp and the bass is good, but when I connect to CarPlay the music seems to become muffled and it seems like the bass goes down. the vocals and mid ranges seems seem to get lower whenever there is higher bass in a song then when the bass drops down the vocals get high again, but this isn’t a issue with Bluetooth. I tried turning off “Hey Spotify” and it didn’t make a difference. The really weird thing is that it seems to affect all audio while my phone in plugged in. Even radio and Sirius XM. And yes I’ve tried brand new cords and everything so idk.. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Dec 7, 2020 2:51 PM in response to Crabapple22

Hello Crabapple22,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

We understand that Apple CarPlay sound is muffled when you're using the USB cord. We're happy to help!

Below is an article that will provide some steps to help with CarPlay.

If you need help with CarPlay

Were you able to try a different USB cord and if what was the result?

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care!

Feb 6, 2021 8:03 PM in response to uri289

I’m having the same issue I have a 2020 Jeep Wrangler and when I use Bluetooth the music is clear and crisp and the bass is good, but when I connect to CarPlay the music seems to become muffled and it seems like the bass goes down. the vocals and mid ranges seems seem to get lower whenever there is higher bass in a song then when the bass drops down the vocals get high again, but this isn’t a issue with Bluetooth. I tried turning off “Hey Spotify” and it didn’t make a difference. The really weird thing is that it seems to affect all audio while my phone in plugged in. Even radio and Sirius XM. And yes I’ve tried brand new cords and everything so idk.. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Muffled sound through Apple CarPlay usb

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.