Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NEW MacBook Air M1 8gb 256gb: "your system has run out of application memory"

Just about daily, my new M1 MacBook Air starts to run warm (thought they were SO much cooler now) and then I get a popup to ForceQuit my applications with the message, "your system has run out of application memory" (and showing me that Safari is using the most memory by far). In fact, I checked the RAM usage and its showing 6.3gb out of 8gb. Im wondering is this simply a RAM issue and I should return/exchange for the 16gb model?

Funny enough, my 4 month older MBA 2020 never crashed like this (though it ran scorchingly hot which is why I bought the new M1 to replace it).

Only apps Im running when this happens are: WhatsApp, iMessages, Safari (with LastPass/Rakuten/Honey extensions). Safari has about 15 tabs open, which is nothing for my 10 year old iMac, or the prior MacBooks, so cant imagine its too taxing for this new M1 MacBook?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 30, 2020 10:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 2:45 PM

This happened to me for the first time today on my 8gb M1 MBA and I was so shocked I neglected to take a screen shot. It showed Safari using a gigantic amount of memory with about 15 tabs open and a few other programs; like you, nothing that my older MBA couldn't handle easily. Apple's response is quite disappointing indeed. If/when it happens again to me, I'll be contacting them to complain as well. Keep us posted on how it works out.

138 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2020 2:45 PM in response to jarmeearc220

This happened to me for the first time today on my 8gb M1 MBA and I was so shocked I neglected to take a screen shot. It showed Safari using a gigantic amount of memory with about 15 tabs open and a few other programs; like you, nothing that my older MBA couldn't handle easily. Apple's response is quite disappointing indeed. If/when it happens again to me, I'll be contacting them to complain as well. Keep us posted on how it works out.

Dec 2, 2020 10:08 AM in response to ewl930

Thanks for sharing.

Its most certainly an optimization issue given the new M1 requires essentially all-new code from developers who haven't yet caught up. I think the MacBook is compensating by swapping memory with the drive and running out of space too quickly. Its new tech and its fully expected to have some issues, I have no qualms about being an early adopter. However, what isn't expected is Apple betraying their early adopters and biggest fans who took a chance and bought these first and have dozens of other apple products. I literally upgraded from a 4mo old MacBook Air Retina.

So, the final chapter: I wrapped up with a final call yesterday & the Apple reps response to me (Im paraphrasing), "well this seems just an inconvenience for you & seems you likely need more memory for this issue to not happen or happen less often. Thats just your preference and the MacBook isn't broken or defective (even though it crashes all the time). As such, Apple cant help and we recommend returning your machine and buying the more expensive model with more RAM and a larger SSD and seeing if that helps."

I told them I only use Safari, not talking Photoshop or anything heavy and this never happened on an older machine which was supposedly far less powerful. Didn't matter. Apple's response: "well then it seems like you like to keep too many tabs open and should buy an upgraded Mac with more power". Um, my 4mo old MBA runs Safari just fine with no such issues...

This is not what I expect from Apple. As a longtime fan who recommends their stuff to all friends and family Im taking a very serious new look at them and their new policies. The main reason I stuck with Apple all this time despite the premium price was exceptional customer service and top notch hardware/software. This is cause for serious pause.

As it happens though, Apple won. It continues to crash for the same reason so I filed for a return and Im giving it back. I went ahead and spent $400 more dollars on a 16gb/512gb MBA M1 as Im out of patience. I have to say, this is the first time ever I feel burned by Apple Support and frustrated with a troublesome new product. from an otherwise stellar firm in my experience. I've also already advised friends and family to let me (and others) sort through these new M1 machines until they're better resolved, bugs worked out and to hold off purchases until the next gen arrives.

Aug 26, 2021 7:47 PM in response to jarmeearc220

something definitely changed. I already posted about this here https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253040104 but I'll repost here too:

I have a 16gb M1. got it in november 2020, was very happy with it. I was able to open ALL the apps I routinely use, and just leave them all open! numbers, safari with several windows and dozens of tabs (including 4 large and complex google sheets, big enough that every time I went back to them, safari said they were reloaded for using too many resources lol), DEVONthink, fantastical, omnifocus, iTerm2, 1password, plus a whole slew of iPad apps. so many apps, in fact, that my dock became a tiny little colorful ribbon and the CMD-tab switcher was useless. it was glorious.

then right after a software update (I believe it was the 11.3 or 11.4 update, not exactly sure), I can't do that any more.

now most of the time when I wake it up from sleep, I get the dreaded "your system has run out of application memory". so now I'm in the habit of running an app when I need it, then quitting it. normally when my mac goes to sleep, I only have omnifocus, iTerm2, Finder, Messages, 1password, and obsidian running. and sometimes upon wake, MacOS will kill iTerm2!

I have activity monitor running now, showing memory usage for all processes. the memory pressure at the bottom is always green.

meanwhile, my work intel macbook pro (also 16gb) still routinely has 25 apps open without trouble, but my m1 with only 6 or 7 is complaining.

I do have some background things running, like backblaze, Hook, Hazel, some setapp apps like Paste, Forecast Bar, iStat Menus, Timing, bartender. but all these were also running before the software update, when I was running tons of apps all the time without trouble.

I'd bet dollars to donuts this is a MacOS bug, and I guess I'm just cathartically posting here that I wish they'd fix it.z

I suppose I should make another account just for the fun of it and see if I can run lots of apps there, but since I don't see any culprits in activity monitor, I'm not sure that will help.

P.S., I'm not running VMWare or adobe or anything like that

Oct 1, 2021 7:45 AM in response to Wallace_Ugulino

Welcome, Wallace_Ugulino, to Apple Support Communities!

The issue with Safari is a bit different from the issue overall:

In the case of Safari, we have websites that are abusing your browser’s memory.

Wesites are not supposed to use large amounts of browser memory! If websites need large amounts of memory, they are supposed to use Server-side Memory! Not Browser Memory.

This has been a progressive abuse on users’ web-browsers, at least since the demise of Adobe Flash, where many websites replaced their old Flash code with poorly formulated JavaScript!

(I have seen some evidence that Internet Standards are being worked on to provide better feedback to websites concerning what Browsers will or will not accept, in such regards. Unfortunately, such will take time to work out, and, then, for sites to respect.

In the meantime, we have conflicts.)

The best recourse is to complain to websites that abuse your browsers’ resources.

You can, of course, also provide Feedback to Apple, via their designated Feedback Mechanisms: Product Feedback - Apple.

Oct 1, 2021 3:25 PM in response to SamhnaDubhadh

SamhnaDubhadh wrote:

When I worked with Apple Support, they simply opened up Activity Monitor to show that the memory was in high use (13gb/16gb). Then they encouraged me to reinstall macOS.

When you say «that the memory was in high use (13gb/16gb)», what are you referring to: the amount of total used Random Access Memory (RAM), in the listing of RAM usage, to the right of the Memory Pressure graph?

If so, that is of no concern, whatsoever!

In fact, if the total RAM usage is not 100%, then you are underutilizing the RAM on your computer: you bought much more RAM than you needed!

(Admittedly, 13GB is more than the RAM available on the next lower memory model, so not a truly big deal, in this case.)

Being concerned about this is an all too common misconception concerning modern computers!

No idea whether Apple actually reads any of these, …

Sorry, but no. Apple doesn’t tend to glean feedback from these fora.

If you wish to provide Apple Feedback, you can use Apple’s preferred Feedback mechanisms, such as Product Feedback - Apple.

Working directly with Apple Support would seem to be a good mechanism, as well, but …

Nov 1, 2021 12:48 PM in response to jarmeearc220

Sorry maorfrommiami. I hope you still have your MacBook with you. I also hope that your problem got solved with the macOS updates. I got what you mean especially you were just using Safari. You are a great Apple user for patronizing Apple products and for sharing your issues and insights with other users through this discussion. There are possible reasons why this could happen like a file from a backup got corrupted or is not compatible with the latest software or there was an app running in the background that consume too much memory.

For new users who got a similar issue, I recommend doing these steps to fix it:

1. click the magnifying glass icon at the top right of the screen please.

2. search and open Activity Monitor

3. Check for apps that consume too much memory

4. Delete apps that take too much memory 

5. Reinstall them

Next

1. System Preferences

2. Users & Groups

3. click your account name below Current User

4. click Login Items (Make a list of the login items—you’ll need to remember them later)

5. select all of the login items

6. click the minus sign

7. click the Apple logo in the top left corner of the screen

8. Restart

1. click the Apple logo in the top left corner

2. System Preferences

3. Users & Groups

4. Click the lock icon at the bottom left

5. click +

6. create new User account

7. shut down/restart

8. Log in to the new user account

This will test if you will get the same problem on the new user account.

1. shut down your MacBook please

2. press and hold the power button for about 10 seconds (or until you see the startup options window)

3. select your startup disk and press and hold Shift on the keyboard

4. Continue in Safe Mode

Oct 15, 2021 2:06 PM in response to jarmeearc220

Well don’t get your hopes up with the “more powerful” unit. After the last update, my 16gb now does it about once a day.

Besides sounding like (and feeling as hot as) a Falcon 9 rocket, my 8gb 2014 MBP muscled through tasks like a champ… this is a sad state of affairs for apple loyalists like myself.

[Image Edited by Moderator to Remove Serial Number]

Dec 1, 2020 2:01 PM in response to Prof-et

So I called Apple and after speaking with 3 people they advise, "um, you should probably just upgrade to the one with 16gb ram because we dont really know what causing this issue". They then transfer me to sales.

Interestingly, my 4mo old Intel-powered MBA never had this issue and it too has 8gb RAM. Clearly there's a technical problem and its not uncommon, I know Im an early-adopter of the new M1 laptops. But instead of trying to help me they try to upsell me and get me to spend more? And what if I do and the memory issue persists?

Honestly, first time I feel really let down by Apple support and their standing behind their products.

Dec 2, 2020 12:49 PM in response to jarmeearc220

FWIW, try a different browser beside Safari (Microsoft Edge or Firefox)

and see if the same thing happens. I have the 8 GB M1 Air and I am

seeing Safari gobbling up a lot of RAM, a lot more than I have seen on

my iMac, and I don't open tons of tabs. Perhaps Safari is the culprit and

not ready for prime time on the M1 systems or on any 8GB Big Sur system..

NEW MacBook Air M1 8gb 256gb: "your system has run out of application memory"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.