Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2010 macbook OS reinstallation due to windows 10

I have a 2010 macbook. sometimes back i installed windows 10 and might had removed mac OS completely. Now i want to use mac OS again but couldnt access it, i tried,

1. command +R while restarting but it goes straight to windows
  2. option (alt) while starting shows a hard disk symbol with the text ''EFI'' when i click on it it opens windows again
  3. i dont have any mac OS disk available with me

please help.

MacBook

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 1:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 5:35 PM

If you never installed macOS 10.12.6 or 10.13 on this laptop, then you do not have access to Internet Recovery Mode. That means you need to use the OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD that originally shipped with your laptop to reinstall OSX 10.6. Once you install OSX 10.6 and all its later patches, then you can download and install macOS 10.11 or 10.13 using the information in this Apple article which includes links to the various macOS installers as well as optional instructions for creating a bootable USB installer:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

If you have access to another Mac that can run macOS 10.11 or 10.13, then you can use that Mac to create a bootable macOS USB installer instead of starting with the OSX 10.6.3 DVD.

FYI, before removing the native OS from any system you should always plan ahead for how you will reinstall the original OS if you ever change your mind. Apple requires you to access the macOS installers using macOS.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2020 5:35 PM in response to sibiraj

If you never installed macOS 10.12.6 or 10.13 on this laptop, then you do not have access to Internet Recovery Mode. That means you need to use the OSX 10.6 Snow Leopard DVD that originally shipped with your laptop to reinstall OSX 10.6. Once you install OSX 10.6 and all its later patches, then you can download and install macOS 10.11 or 10.13 using the information in this Apple article which includes links to the various macOS installers as well as optional instructions for creating a bootable USB installer:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

If you have access to another Mac that can run macOS 10.11 or 10.13, then you can use that Mac to create a bootable macOS USB installer instead of starting with the OSX 10.6.3 DVD.

FYI, before removing the native OS from any system you should always plan ahead for how you will reinstall the original OS if you ever change your mind. Apple requires you to access the macOS installers using macOS.

Dec 3, 2020 8:40 AM in response to sibiraj

You will need to find a copy on eBay since Apple no longer sells the DVD. It may be hard to locate a copy of the DVD installer made just for your exact model Mac. Remember a DVD made for a different model or the Retail version will not work on your laptop. You need to find the DVD with the gray label which actually lists the MacBook 13" (mid-2010) on the DVD. If you have a MBPro instead, then the DVD needs to have "MacBook Pro (mid-2010)" on it.

Personally I think it will be easier to find another Mac that is compatible with macOS 10.11 or 10.13 and create a bootable macOS USB installer. Another user did post instructions on how to create a macOS 10.11 USB installer using an incompatible Mac, but I don't have the link at the moment plus the instructions were a bit confusing.

2010 macbook OS reinstallation due to windows 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.