Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBookOS/Startup/

I need help please….

I have a 2010 MacBook Pro—been using that until just recently when I tried to install windows 11 on it using Bootcamp. 

I started the process in MacOS and at a stage in the installation process,the bootcamp took me into windows specifically where I was suppose select the version of windows I.e windows 10 Home or Education those stuffs. 

Just after I did,it said I couldn’t install windows 11 on the Mac. 

I thought it would have gone back into Mac OS. Honestly since then I haven’t been able to boot back into MacOS. Funny enough when I press the power button what appears on the screen is “No bootable Device—insert boot disk and press any key”.

I have changed the HDD with the view that I could do internet Recovery but even with the internet recovery it loads and what appears in the screen is a circle with a line crossed in. 

Command R also isn’t working 

Please help me. 

Posted on May 7, 2022 6:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 7, 2022 6:46 AM

That's a show-stopper. Although that model Mac should be able to use use Internet Recovery, if it is not working for whatever reason you will require that Mac's original, grey, Mac OS Install DVD or a retail, white, Snow Leopard Install DVD.

Computers that can be upgraded to use OS X Internet Recovery - Apple Support

Funny enough when I press the power button what appears on the screen is “No bootable Device—insert boot disk and press any key”.

That message is not generated by anything Apple does. The language strikes me as something Microsoft would write.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 7, 2022 6:46 AM in response to Kwabenamax2022

That's a show-stopper. Although that model Mac should be able to use use Internet Recovery, if it is not working for whatever reason you will require that Mac's original, grey, Mac OS Install DVD or a retail, white, Snow Leopard Install DVD.

Computers that can be upgraded to use OS X Internet Recovery - Apple Support

Funny enough when I press the power button what appears on the screen is “No bootable Device—insert boot disk and press any key”.

That message is not generated by anything Apple does. The language strikes me as something Microsoft would write.

May 7, 2022 11:23 AM in response to Kwabenamax2022

That means the Mac needs to load an operating system.

When that Mac was built it included two grey DVDs: one to install OS X and the other one to install the applications included with the Mac. Both of them need to accompany that Mac forever.

Assuming you no longer have them, the most common solution is to obtain a retail, white, boxed, Mac OS X Snow Leopard DVD.

It looks like the one in this Discussion: I lost my startup ( recovery) CD . - Apple Community

Apple no longer sells them, but aftermarket sources exist. Be sure you buy one that looks exactly like the image above.

May 11, 2022 11:20 AM in response to Kwabenamax2022

I'm reasonably certain there simply is no Mac operating system anywhere to be found on that hard disk.

According to Apple, Internet Recovery is supposed to work, with the very significant condition that your Mac is no older than a mid-2010 model and that it has had its firmware updated: Computers that can be upgraded to use OS X Internet Recovery - Apple Support. Anything older cannot use Internet Recovery.

It's a moot point though if ⌘ R just doesn't work—you will need to obtain that Snow Leopard installation DVD. Other boot options are possible (another Mac, Netboot, USB installer etc) but the DVD is the most common solution. Be sure to get the right one. Many people sell the grey discs that originally came with a Mac but you must be absolutely positively certain the disc is for your exact model, and that's difficult to determine.

By the way try adding an option key to the ⌘ R startup key chord. In other words hold ⌘ ⌥ R with three fingers while you start the Mac with a fourth finger. That will force Internet Recovery to load from firmware.

That is supposed to happen automatically if ⌘ R fails to find the locally installed Recovery partition, but it's obviously not happening, so try it.

May 9, 2022 5:04 PM in response to Kwabenamax2022

command-R booting does not work in 2010 Macbooks.

And ones newer than March 15, 2010 only work with their prebundled installer disc, that says MacBook (Pro, Air, or nothing next to it but it must be for the exact make and model as the Mac itself) and Snow Leopard.

If the firmware wasn't installed for internet restore, command-option-shift-R won't work, and you either have to find a clone to clone back from, or the original discs to install on the Mac.

MacBookOS/Startup/

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.