Newsroom Update

The redesigned iPad Air and new iPad Pro with Apple silicon are now available. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Email

I have both an Ipad & Iphone. I also have a laptop with Outlook Express for my email. When I open the Outlook Express to check emails the ones I have opened on my Ipad or Iphone disappear. How do I stop that from happening?

iPad, iPadOS 13

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 6:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 6:41 AM

As described, you have likely configured your laptop Outlook Express to use the POP3 Mail Protocol - instead of IMAP.

If POP3 is configured to “download and delete”, all email messages will be deleted from the Mail Server after having been accessed from your laptop.

by contrast, your iPad will be configured (by default) to retrieve email from the Mail server over IMAP. This much newer Mail Protocol will always leave copy of your email on the Mail Server - as doing so allows other email clients to access the same messages. If a POP3 mail client has deleted your email messages from the server, you’ll not be able to access your mail messages; they’re gone!

The solution to your problem is the reconfigure your Outlook Express program. Ideally, Outlook Express should ideally be configured to use IMAP. If this isn’t possible, you may be able to reconfigure the settings to “download and leave a copy on the server”.

I hope this information and insight is helpful in both understanding and resolving the problem.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2020 6:41 AM in response to Dijoe79

As described, you have likely configured your laptop Outlook Express to use the POP3 Mail Protocol - instead of IMAP.

If POP3 is configured to “download and delete”, all email messages will be deleted from the Mail Server after having been accessed from your laptop.

by contrast, your iPad will be configured (by default) to retrieve email from the Mail server over IMAP. This much newer Mail Protocol will always leave copy of your email on the Mail Server - as doing so allows other email clients to access the same messages. If a POP3 mail client has deleted your email messages from the server, you’ll not be able to access your mail messages; they’re gone!

The solution to your problem is the reconfigure your Outlook Express program. Ideally, Outlook Express should ideally be configured to use IMAP. If this isn’t possible, you may be able to reconfigure the settings to “download and leave a copy on the server”.

I hope this information and insight is helpful in both understanding and resolving the problem.

Email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.