Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my text disappear when I switch the camera to 3D?

I'm working on a 2.5D project. I add my foreground and background and then add a text box and text. Looks fine.

I add in a camera and it prompts me to switch to 3D. I Do. The text in my text box immediately disappears. I found the option to switch my text to 3D, but I find this text looks horrible. Is there way to have normal looking text that's visible in 3D mode?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 11:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 11:34 AM

It depends on where the text is located, and also on whether your content is in 2D or 3D groups.

2D groups always "face the camera", and they stack depending on the order in the layers list.

3D groups will use the 3D coordinates, so for example the Z coordinate will impact what you see.

I can reproduce this "disappearing act" even without adding a camera. It is enough to turn a 2D group into 3D.

Here is a minimal example:

Note that the group is 2D, as indicated by the icon to the right of the Group.

You can't see it, but I manually have set the Z-coordinate of the text to a negative value. The Z-coordinate of the rectangle is zero.

Since the group is 2D, the stack order in the layers list prevails, and the text shows.

Now, add a camera, or just click the 2D icon to switch the group to 3D. It will now look like this - notice that the text is now invisible - because it is behind the rectangle in Z.

You can move the camera around, or switch to a different camera to see that in fact the text is behind:

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2020 11:34 AM in response to DocHolliday2006

It depends on where the text is located, and also on whether your content is in 2D or 3D groups.

2D groups always "face the camera", and they stack depending on the order in the layers list.

3D groups will use the 3D coordinates, so for example the Z coordinate will impact what you see.

I can reproduce this "disappearing act" even without adding a camera. It is enough to turn a 2D group into 3D.

Here is a minimal example:

Note that the group is 2D, as indicated by the icon to the right of the Group.

You can't see it, but I manually have set the Z-coordinate of the text to a negative value. The Z-coordinate of the rectangle is zero.

Since the group is 2D, the stack order in the layers list prevails, and the text shows.

Now, add a camera, or just click the 2D icon to switch the group to 3D. It will now look like this - notice that the text is now invisible - because it is behind the rectangle in Z.

You can move the camera around, or switch to a different camera to see that in fact the text is behind:

Why does my text disappear when I switch the camera to 3D?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.