Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Asking for PIN

Ever since I upgraded to OS Big Sur, when my screen locks, it asks for a PIN vice a Password. I have never set a PIN and, therefore, I can't log back into my computer. There are a few System Preferences where it also asks for a PIN vice Password. How do I fix this?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 12:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2021 11:49 AM

Figured it out. It's because I have a smart card reader plugged into the USB port, which I use for some enterprise websites. I didn't think it would be used for unlocking the whole Mac screen. I can enter the PIN for the smart card, or just unplug the card reader and the PIN requirement goes away. Doesn't seem like very intuitive use of the smart card, if you ask me....

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2021 11:49 AM in response to nosedrain

Figured it out. It's because I have a smart card reader plugged into the USB port, which I use for some enterprise websites. I didn't think it would be used for unlocking the whole Mac screen. I can enter the PIN for the smart card, or just unplug the card reader and the PIN requirement goes away. Doesn't seem like very intuitive use of the smart card, if you ask me....

Dec 8, 2020 11:31 AM in response to Rhalljr

Hi Rhalljr,

Thank you for posting in the Apple Support Communities. It sounds like your Mac is asking for a firmware password, correct? If so, we would love to help see if we can get the issue resolved for you. Let's go ahead and follow the troubleshooting steps we've linked for you below, which include how to disable the firmware password.

Set a firmware password on your Mac

Please let us know if you have any additional questions. We're always happy to help.

Cheers!

Dec 30, 2020 5:58 PM in response to Jeff_W.

I have the same problem, and no, I don't think this has anything to do with setting the firmware password.

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015). I just updated from Mojave to Big Sur. The update completed, then I stepped away from my Mac for several hours. When I returned, the screen was locked, as expected, but instead of asking for my password, it asked me for my "PIN", which I don't ever recall setting. I tried entering my usual password, but it failed. When I clicked on the "?" next to password field, it gave me the password hint associated with my password. It also said if I forgot my password, then click to restart the computer, which I did.

I'm confused. Why is it asking me for my PIN? And, if it is some PIN that I set somewhere, why is it giving me my password hint? The firmware password (which I had never heard about til now) screen is a black screen with a picture of a padlock. I have never seen that, and I don't see it now.

Help!

Asking for PIN

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.