Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iMac is running slow

My computer seemed to be running just fine yesterday and I was able to work on it with no problems. I don't usually put it in sleep or log out of my account whenever I'm done and just let it sit here but turn the screen off. I get on it this morning and it's taking 5 minutes to open up a new browser tab in chrome. Then it's slow to do anything and it took about 10 minutes for it to even try to open the "force quit". I restarted it and each time I have restarted it it seems to go slower and slower. I have opened it in recovery mode and checked the drives and everything seems to be fine.

I've been scrolling the posts on here all day and downloaded EtreCheck and here is what it has to say. Hopefully one of you guys can help me because I have a ton of pictures that I need to edit and have done by the end of the week. Thanks in advance!

iMac 27″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 1:18 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 2:19 PM

Before you do ANYTHING, please back up your computer. You are risking losing all of your apps, data everything by operating without a Time Machine or bootable clone backup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The best antivirus, cleaning app, and overall maintenance app for Mac OS is Mac OS itself. All you need to do with Mac OS to keep it secure and running well is to keep it up-to-date and do periodic (about 1x per week) restarts. Other than that, leave it alone. Adding third party antivirus, cleaning, security and other types of maintenance apps to Mac OS adds no additional level of security. The only thing these apps do is have the opposite affect users want. They make Mac OS slow, unstable, generate odd behavior (much like you are experiencing) and make Mac OS appear buggy. 

Please locate the developers uninstall instructions for CleanMyMac and follow to the letter. Then restart in Safe Mode per the directions in Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac and then restart normally. 

If the problem persists please let us know, you may have a failing hard disk drive.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2020 2:19 PM in response to sieotter

Before you do ANYTHING, please back up your computer. You are risking losing all of your apps, data everything by operating without a Time Machine or bootable clone backup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The best antivirus, cleaning app, and overall maintenance app for Mac OS is Mac OS itself. All you need to do with Mac OS to keep it secure and running well is to keep it up-to-date and do periodic (about 1x per week) restarts. Other than that, leave it alone. Adding third party antivirus, cleaning, security and other types of maintenance apps to Mac OS adds no additional level of security. The only thing these apps do is have the opposite affect users want. They make Mac OS slow, unstable, generate odd behavior (much like you are experiencing) and make Mac OS appear buggy. 

Please locate the developers uninstall instructions for CleanMyMac and follow to the letter. Then restart in Safe Mode per the directions in Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac and then restart normally. 

If the problem persists please let us know, you may have a failing hard disk drive.

My iMac is running slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.