Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch Series 1

I have had my apple watch since Christmas 2016. I looked down today and noticed the face is coming off. I searched on google and the response is the battery is swollen. Apparently this was a defect in the watch. Does anyone know if Apple will fix this? Or would I be better off buying a new watch.

Thanks

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 2:25 PM

2 replies

Dec 29, 2020 3:15 PM in response to greeneyes_23

If you are willing to brave the tiny screws that come with opening up the apple watch, you could attempt a DIY battery swap.But don't be surprised if you accidentally break something - apple watch repairs are notoriously difficult, especially the steps for getting the screen off and back on without cracking it.

When my series 0 battery completely died in 2018, Apple Support said they would charge $250 for out of warranty repair (I think because they said it wasn't only the battery that had to be replaced). Obviously, that is much more than the watch is worth so I just got a new one. It looks like from their Watch Service page that it should cost $79 for out of warranty 'battery service fee'.

Of course, it wouldn't hurt to check with Apple Support yourself, and there might be a free repair program of some kind, but I wouldn't count on it.

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Apple Watch Series 1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.