Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Looking for ways to correctly use spotlight

I previously asked this question, but apparently in a way that Apple felt was too disparaging or something - they removed the question. Whatever. Their website and their platform I suppose. I will try to ask the question again in a way that does not run afoul of their guidelines.

I am trying to figure out how to effectively use Spotlight under Catalina. I search for a file and when it shows up I pretty much cannot do anything with the results of the search. Clicking on the file occasionally (but only very rarely) results in Spotlight showing the path to the file in the bottom of the window. In these very lucky cases I still have to screenshot the path, then open that screenshot in preview in order to remember where it is - because as soon as I click on the finder to navigate to that location Spotlight goes away.

If I double click on the file it will actually try to open the file. In my case that is not helpful because Catalina does not allow me to open Photoshop CS6 (the version I own) and instead opens the file in some random application called Snap Converter. This app does not show me where the file is. Even if Photoshop worked, if I have more than one file with the same or similar name, I have no idea which one I am opening until it is actually open (which with large files can take a while).

I can select "Show all in Finder" but that gives me a list of over 540 files which I have to search through to re-find the file. This is a little better but I still have to right-click on the file and select "Show in enclosing folder", then cmd-click on that window title to get a full path to the file in order to determine whether I am looking at the correct version.

Right clicking in Spotlight does nothing. And there is no other interface element that I can find that would allow me to simply show me the file in the Finder.

Clearly I must be missing something? I cannot remember for sure but in previous versions of the OS I do not remember being stymied like this.

Ideally someone could let me know how to do the following:

1) Get spotlight to show me the full path to the file that I have selected in the interface. I have seen it there before but I cannot figure out under what circumstances that path is displayed.

2) Figure out how to show the selected file in the Finder (vs. just blindly opening it so that I can figure out where it is located).

Any help would be appreciated. And here is hoping that this is an acceptable question for Apple and this forum.

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 3:32 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Dec 1, 2020 4:16 PM in response to Yer_Man

Well that was it. Thanks!

Holding down the command key displays the path. I wished it would stay up so that I could just see it as needed, but as is this is super helpful.

Holding down the command key and double clicking or holding down the command key and hitting return opens the file in the finder.

Thanks again. These are not super discoverable shortcuts for what seems like basic, common functionality but now that I know them I will use them a lot.

Looking for ways to correctly use spotlight

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.