Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

spotlight

When I search I document with spotlight and klick on it - to open it - in most cases it wont simply open. Instead I have to move it to the desktop or whatever and open it from there. Is that the way spotlight is supposed to work?

I simply don´t get it?!

Now the fun part: When I move the file to the place where I normally save it, the finder says, there is already a file with the same name! So the file was already on my machine (not in the cloud) but I couldn´t open it from spotlight anyway!

So the question is: What the heck is spotlight really good for - or is it simply crap software?

Also: A function to open the folder where the file resides from Spotlight would be greatly appreciated!

I dont understand how apple pushes new features like spotlight with huge marketing power and then leaves them crippled dying on the road.

Posted on Jun 25, 2023 5:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2023 5:51 AM

Sterni wrote:

When I search I document with spotlight and klick on it - to open it - in most cases it wont simply open. Instead I have to move it to the desktop or whatever and open it from there. Is that the way spotlight is supposed to work?
I simply don´t get it?!

If there is no application installed to open that anonymous file that you find in Spotlight, then no application will launch when you click or press return on that selection.

Now the fun part: When I move the file to the place where I normally save it, the finder says, there is already a file with the same name! So the file was already on my machine (not in the cloud) but I couldn´t open it from spotlight anyway!

Check your System Preferences/Settings > Spotlight search Results categories and ensure that they are all selected except perhaps Siri Suggestions. Also, In Finder > Preferences/Settings > Advanced, have the following configured:

So the question is: What the heck is spotlight really good for - or is it simply crap software?

It is powerful when you know how to use it to narrow your search results.

Also: A function to open the folder where the file resides from Spotlight would be greatly appreciated!

Select the file and press Return. That opens a new Finder Window on the containing folder with the file selected.

I dont understand how apple pushes new features like spotlight with huge marketing power and then leaves them crippled dying on the road.

Spotlight has been around for decades, so not a new feature, or a feature that one cannot learn to use effectively.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2023 5:51 AM in response to Sterni

Sterni wrote:

I simply don´t get it?!

If there is no application installed to open that anonymous file that you find in Spotlight, then no application will launch when you click or press return on that selection.

Check your System Preferences/Settings > Spotlight search Results categories and ensure that they are all selected except perhaps Siri Suggestions. Also, In Finder > Preferences/Settings > Advanced, have the following configured:

It is powerful when you know how to use it to narrow your search results.

Select the file and press Return. That opens a new Finder Window on the containing folder with the file selected.

Spotlight has been around for decades, so not a new feature, or a feature that one cannot learn to use effectively.

Jun 26, 2023 5:28 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Luis Sequeira1 wrote:

Sterni wrote:

yeah - excellent! But I´m more of a mouse guy, keyboard-shortcuts is so Linux - thats why I moved to mac....;-)

Keyboard shortcuts are something that was introduced with the first Mac back in 1984.
So we will have to agree to disagree on the statement above.

The first keyboard shortcuts were created by Xerox in the 70s - just to keep you enlightened ;-)

Jun 25, 2023 5:23 AM in response to Sterni

I won't say everybody doesn't experience that, but I would imagine it is a statistically significant proportion.

What kind of documents? Are they stored in a cloud?

I have seen where Office cannot open a file that is only in the cloud and doesn't have a local copy. But, it times out with a message.

Hold down command key and click.

That jump across the chasm was Evil Knievel level.

spotlight

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.