Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Spotlight show me a full file path?

When searching in Spotlight, when I press the cmd key it only shows me a small part (the end) of the file path for any item that I search. The much abbreviated path that it reveals is usually not enough to enable me to locate the file. How can I see a full path when performing a search?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jul 8, 2020 7:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2020 11:35 AM

The ⌘ key in Spotlight will show the Apple HFS path to the document punctuated as: Startup-Drive • Users • yourname • Desktop • filename. There is no provision in Spotlight to show the POSIX (UNIX) path as /Users/yourname/Desktop/filename.ext.

Pressing ⌘R will open a Finder window with the specific file preselected.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2020 11:35 AM in response to billinrio1

The ⌘ key in Spotlight will show the Apple HFS path to the document punctuated as: Startup-Drive • Users • yourname • Desktop • filename. There is no provision in Spotlight to show the POSIX (UNIX) path as /Users/yourname/Desktop/filename.ext.

Pressing ⌘R will open a Finder window with the specific file preselected.

Jul 22, 2020 3:46 PM in response to FoxFifth

Or you could save this AppleScript as a script or application on your Desktop, and once you have selected something in the Finder, just double-click the script to bring up the Show Info panel:

tell application "Finder"
	if exists (selection as alias list) then
		tell application "System Events"
			activate
			tell application process "Finder"
				activate
				set frontmost to true
				keystroke "i" using {option down, command down}
			end tell
		end tell
	end if
end tell
return

Can Spotlight show me a full file path?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.