Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Menu Selection on Trackpad

Selecting the right thing with the trackpad has become increasingly more difficult. Either something gets selected that I don't want or I can't select what I want.

At times, it appears that the sensitivity is set so high that moving the cursor across menus one will be selected. Other times I click on a choice multiple times and it doesn't work. (Sometimes I realize my hand is not placed on the left side of the trackpad.) When i have to chose an item one or two levels down, I have to move my hand horizontally being certain not moving a millimeter too high or low or I have to begin again.

I can't seem to understand the options and which will be helpful. I feel like I am fighting with a random hand. The only option I have found to make a difference is the click speed.

What will work to reduce accidental selections?

What will work to reduce my need to move horizontally across the screen without error?

What will work to ensure when I click on something it responds without my hand being placed exactly where the trackpad expects.

This will be a great start to reducing my frustrations. I don't have the technical vocabulary used in accessibility (whether Apple's or the community) to decide what it is I need.

MacBook

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 4:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2020 11:14 AM

I agree - there are so many options it is sometimes impossible to work out which ones make any difference.

I think it is good that these options are available however as for some people they make the difference between being able to use the device, and not. The absence of any definitive help may be because it is very difficult to anticipate every use case - peoples needs vary quite considerably.

A couple of suggestions:

1) I often navigate the menus using the arrow keys on the keyboard rather than the mouse/trackpad. This is very precise for navigating around the menus..

2) To get better control of the cursor I use this program; Cursorsense: http://plentycom.jp/en/cursorsense/index.html

It allows you to change the speed and sensitivity of the mouse/trackpad. (The built in settings only adjusts the speed) It has made my mouse much better for navigating around. Might be worth a try - although it will also add another set of options for you to think about!

I hope that helps.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2020 11:14 AM in response to Jarmaracark

I agree - there are so many options it is sometimes impossible to work out which ones make any difference.

I think it is good that these options are available however as for some people they make the difference between being able to use the device, and not. The absence of any definitive help may be because it is very difficult to anticipate every use case - peoples needs vary quite considerably.

A couple of suggestions:

1) I often navigate the menus using the arrow keys on the keyboard rather than the mouse/trackpad. This is very precise for navigating around the menus..

2) To get better control of the cursor I use this program; Cursorsense: http://plentycom.jp/en/cursorsense/index.html

It allows you to change the speed and sensitivity of the mouse/trackpad. (The built in settings only adjusts the speed) It has made my mouse much better for navigating around. Might be worth a try - although it will also add another set of options for you to think about!

I hope that helps.

Dec 17, 2020 8:25 AM in response to Jarmaracark

Hi

You will need to trial the options to see if they work. It is impossible to say what will work for you as these things are so individual in nature.

You can use keyboard shortcuts on the mac: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201236

Also you can highlight the menus by pressing Fn-Ctrl-F2 - you can then navigate the menus using the arrow keys.

I don't think there is an equivalent to the windows keyboard shortcuts for accessing the menu bar.

You can also create your own keyboard shortcuts in System Preferences>Keyboard>Shortcuts>App shortcuts - see here:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mchlp2271/mac

Dec 2, 2020 2:42 AM in response to Jarmaracark

Hi

There are quite a few things you can do to make the trackpad easier to use, although I am not certain that some of the things you mention will be resolved satisfactorily and may complicate the set-up you have.

Before I suggest anything for the trackpad, have you considered using an external mouse and not using the trackpad at all?

There are many types of external mouse available and it may be that this would be a simpler and more successful way of controlling the pointer.

Dec 8, 2020 3:49 AM in response to ak1956

An external mouse is better. My stubborness says I paid for this keypad and it takes up half of the space on the computer..... And IF can find the mouse in my clutter (the next version of Where's Waldo will explain), I won't have any space. The mouse was also rather finicky until I cleaned it. ;)

I see a lot of options. All "help" does is tell me what I'm seeing. Saying I can select dragging without drag lock makes me wonder if I should be dressed as a woman. I have no idea what a panel editor is or what it will do. Switch control? Head pointer? spring loading delay? Invert display color? Data detectors?

I'm sure that engineers and Occupational Therapists know this, but....

Dec 15, 2020 8:24 PM in response to ak1956

I'm going to check it out. Will it help with the following:

-having to hold down a button while I move about the screen?

-moving the mouse exactly horizontal to get to the next menu level without changing my current choice?

-running out of space and needing to move the mouse or my finger to restart?

Also, is there any way to do menu selections like Windows: Alt-F for file,. Alt-EE for edit? I have to remove my hand from the keyboard, grab the mouse, move it all the way to the menu, then click it......continue.....then move my hand back to the keyboard. It is so much more time consuming. Also, selecting with the mouse/trackpad requires a .of fine muscle coordinatkion.

Dec 23, 2020 5:40 AM in response to ak1956

Some things are better using the mouse. But I have to find it and my life makes those looking for Waldo seem easy. It does alleviate most issues. But removing my hand from the keyboard, finding space for the mouse to move on the mess that is my desk still are problems.

Moving one's hand off the keyboard then putting it back on is inefficient and the chances of placing one's hand back improperly are high.

Menu Selection on Trackpad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.