Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Using the right side of the magic trackpad

As a right-handed person, I tend to use the right side of the track pad to control my cursor. With the old MacBook track pads, this wasn't a problem, but it has become an issue with the new "magic" track pad. Now, a touch on the right side often opens an unwanted "right-click" menu. I use a two finger tap when I intend to right click, so taking over an unspecified portion of the track pad for the same function is unnecessary.

It is also a problem in PowerPoint. If I intend to click and drag an image or text box into a new location on a slide, there's a good chance that I will duplicate that object instead because my hand was too far to the right. It is annoying and time consuming. Apple seems content to let us customize most aspects of our track pad use, but there doesn't seem to be a way to turn this off.

Is there anything I can do to bypass this "feature"? I use my MacBook Pro 2021 for work and I have limited control over the settings. I can't download any software.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (2021)

Posted on Oct 29, 2023 7:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2023 11:08 AM

I have it set to “Click or tap with two fingers” already, but thanks for the suggestion. Maybe it will help someone else.

EDIT: I decided to click another option in the drop down menu, then go back to the two fingers one and it seems to have worked? Thanks so much!

Similar questions

2 replies

Using the right side of the magic trackpad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.