Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

M1 MacBook Pro 13.5 Ventura Secondary click trackpad gesture (currently two-finger tap) triggers App Exposé instead of contextual click

My Secondary Click trackpad gesture (currently two-finger tap) triggers App Exposé instead of contextual click. Ventura 13.5, MacBook Pro M1 16". I suspect this occurred because of a mishandled setting when upgrading to Ventura (going from Sysprefs to Settings), because it only occurs for my primary account, not for new accounts. It's quite similar to Right click (two finger tap) on trackpad … - Apple Community, but that didn't occur under Ventura. Does anybody know how I can target just this setting? I'm hoping there's a system default that I could access using Terminal. I don't think there's access for the solution provided by the poster of the entry linked above in the Ventura interface. Can't be sure, there are so many. I don't know how long ago it happened, because I usually use a mouse. I don't want to perform a clean installation. Thanks.

MacBook Pro 16″

Posted on Aug 4, 2023 2:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 5, 2023 10:21 AM

The answer was found by using System Settings after all, and was provided by Howard Oakley at Eclecticlight.co. The setting that I had neglected was under Settings>Desktop & Dock. The setting that was inappropriate for the two-finger tap trigger I wanted to use was found by clicking the Shortcuts button at the very bottom, then the value beneath Application windows for Mouse Shortcut. That Mouse Shortcut was set to Secondary Click. When I changed it to minus (-), the problem went away. Although I needed guidance to find the unwanted setting, I'm relieved that the system ultimately provided the setting and I didn't need to try to work "under the hood".

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 5, 2023 10:21 AM in response to llee

The answer was found by using System Settings after all, and was provided by Howard Oakley at Eclecticlight.co. The setting that I had neglected was under Settings>Desktop & Dock. The setting that was inappropriate for the two-finger tap trigger I wanted to use was found by clicking the Shortcuts button at the very bottom, then the value beneath Application windows for Mouse Shortcut. That Mouse Shortcut was set to Secondary Click. When I changed it to minus (-), the problem went away. Although I needed guidance to find the unwanted setting, I'm relieved that the system ultimately provided the setting and I didn't need to try to work "under the hood".

M1 MacBook Pro 13.5 Ventura Secondary click trackpad gesture (currently two-finger tap) triggers App Exposé instead of contextual click

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.