Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS Big Sur iMessage Pasting Shows Kanji Characters

I am having a weird problem that only occurs when I paste a link from Google drive into iMessages on my iMac. The link is displayed in kanji characters e.g., 栀琀琀瀀猀

This does not happen if I paste the same link into any other application for example safari, mail, pages, etc.

Any ideas??

iMac 27″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 4:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2020 4:37 AM

I have this same issue. I happen to use Synergy to share a keyboard and mouse between a Mac and a PC, but I'm not sure that's the cause. It happens to me with just about any text that I paste in Messages if it came from the PC, but sometimes happens when the text originates from the Mac. It didn't start happening until I installed Big Sur 11.0.1.

Here are two ways I get around it: first paste the text into TextEdit, then copy it again and paste it into Messages. A simpler way is to just use Command+Option+Shift+V to Paste and Match Style when pasting the text directly into Messages.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2020 4:37 AM in response to DonQ

I have this same issue. I happen to use Synergy to share a keyboard and mouse between a Mac and a PC, but I'm not sure that's the cause. It happens to me with just about any text that I paste in Messages if it came from the PC, but sometimes happens when the text originates from the Mac. It didn't start happening until I installed Big Sur 11.0.1.

Here are two ways I get around it: first paste the text into TextEdit, then copy it again and paste it into Messages. A simpler way is to just use Command+Option+Shift+V to Paste and Match Style when pasting the text directly into Messages.

MacOS Big Sur iMessage Pasting Shows Kanji Characters

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.