Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Computer so slow, ran etrecheck, can someone help me see what's wrong.

I've removed as much as I can think of from my mac, but is just unbearable. I'm trying to decide if I should get a new Mac or repair this one. Any guidance and help will be greatly appreciated. In the meantime, I will attache the report and run malware bytes to see if that can clean it up.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 6:28 PM

6 replies

Dec 1, 2020 7:09 PM in response to kmnaturegirl

I see 2 things going on:

Failing hard drive - This computer has a hard drive that appears to be failing.

Adware - Adware detected

First, please download Malwarebytes and run it and see if it finds any adware that it can remove. If your issue still is going on then it seems the HD should be replaced. If you decide to do that then first backup the computer using Time Machine and ensure Time Machine is working fine. Then buy yourself a USB 3 external SSD and then clone the Hard Disk to the SSD and boot from the SSD. You can clone the internal drive by using either SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner.

Dec 2, 2020 6:13 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Do you think it's worth fixing the hard drive. I've decided I'm buying a laptop anyway, but I like the idea of having a desktop too. I'm about to shell our 1200-2500. on a laptop and just wondering if it would be worth fixing the desktop also. It's a 21.5 2013. My husband would probably like me to trash it and just spend less money, but its good to have an extra desktop for the kids, but he's also a Microsoft person. Also do you think I might be able to replace the hard drive myself? I found something on amazon form OWC for like a 150.00. Thinking I might need more storage or do you think the hard rive couldn't making int still slow. It actually does seem a little better with the adware. Also do you think its worth buying the malwarebytes if I decide to keep it? Thanks so much for your help.

Kristina

Computer so slow, ran etrecheck, can someone help me see what's wrong.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.