Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac is too slow = Ventura

I used EtreCheck Pro version 6.8.0

It is stating that the hard drive is too slow.

What should I do?

Thanks

Posted on Jan 21, 2023 8:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2023 11:45 AM

Thank you very much for this detailed answer and for the details about Express VPN. I was suspecting it but I am thankful that you have provided me with these details.

Can you provide me with instructions as to how to clone my hard drive to an external SSD?

11 replies

Jan 21, 2023 12:01 PM in response to hashem_iMac

Can you provide me with instructions as to how to clone my hard drive to an external SSD?

The reason your iMac is slow is due to the 5400-rpm hard drive. While this hard drive found in your Mac is perfectly suited to light tasks, such as email, web browsing, etc., for more advanced tasks, and for users who want the maximum performance from their Mac, this hard drive does have its limitations. Luckily, you can use an external SSD as your startup disk to run macOS and all your data from that. It will make your Mac 10 to 40 times faster for storage, and in turn, make your entire Mac system much faster. For more info, instructions, and what external SSD to buy, please see: How to Setup and Use an External SSD as your Startup Disk on a Desktop Mac - Apple Community.

Jack

Jan 21, 2023 11:40 AM in response to hashem_iMac

I don't see any of the usual suspects in the report. However, unless you're using a true VPN tunnel, such as between you and your employer, school or bank's servers, they are useless from a privacy standpoint.  Read these two articles: Public VPN's are anything but private and Former Malware Distributor Kape Technologies Now Owns ExpressVPN, CyberGhost, Private Internet Access, Zenmate, and a Collection of VPN “Review” Websites

You have the slowest HDD available in your iMac, a 5400 rpm drive. You can improve the speed of the Mac as far a boot time, application and file launch times are concerned with an eternal SSD that you've cloned your internal drive to and are booting and running from it. I recommend drives from OWC (MacSales.com) as they have proven reliability, excellent customer support and warranties.  Consider one of these depending on your budget and needs: 

1.0TB OWC Envoy Pro FX Thunderbolt 3 + USB-C Portable NVMe SSD

1.0TB OWC Envoy Pro SX Rugged Portable NVMe SSD with Thunderbolt/USB4

1.0TB OWC Envoy Pro Elektron USB-C portable NVMe SSD

Envoy Pro EX with USB-C or USB 3

OWC Envoy Pro SX - up to 2847 MB/s 

For your model contact OWC's customer support and get their recommendation for the SSD model that would best suited to your iMac model, work requirements and budget.  They may have additional models other than those I've shown above.

Mac is too slow = Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.