Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Call Failed/Dropped Calls

I upgraded to a 12 pro (verizon) about a month ago. I have had more dropped and failed calls in the last month than the last 10 years. It's not happening on other iPhones (also Verizon) in our house (X, 8 and 7) so it's got to be a phone hardware issue. What the heck is going on and how do I fix it? I can't be dropping work calls this often....

Posted on Dec 1, 2020 6:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2020 4:00 PM

It’s a known frustrating issue. Both Verizon and Apple have not been willing to say if it’s their issue. It’s happening on other carriers too though so I think it’s an Apple issue. I got a replacement phone and had the same issues. So now I’m looking at returning my 12 completely and just going back to my 8

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 29, 2020 4:00 PM in response to KaReFi

It’s a known frustrating issue. Both Verizon and Apple have not been willing to say if it’s their issue. It’s happening on other carriers too though so I think it’s an Apple issue. I got a replacement phone and had the same issues. So now I’m looking at returning my 12 completely and just going back to my 8

Dec 29, 2020 4:24 PM in response to KaReFi

Go to Settings > Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Voice & Data

What is checked? If it is set to 5G, this is the most common issue for dropped calls as 5G service is not everywhere yet and if set to 5G, the phone is looking for service it can't find.

If you know you live in an area where there is SOME 5G service change the setting to 5G Auto. If you don't have 5G in your area, set it to LTE.

Another thing. When you got your new phone did you by chance move the Sim Card from your previous phone to your new phone? If you did, you need a Sim Card which is 5G ready. Get a new Sim from your cellular provider.

See if you stop dropping calls.

Jan 4, 2021 9:15 PM in response to lobsterghost1

I made multiple calls today and had multiple (if not at all times) drop calls. I never had this problem for the last 20 years. It's unreasonable, unacceptable and beyond reasonable expectation of any consumer.

This is almost equivalent to false advertising of 5G network. I really don't care much about 5G but making a successful phone call with no drop call is no longer possible.

I wish this can be subject for regulatory scrutiny. Apple and other network carriers are harvesting profits in exchange of consumers dissatisfaction and negative experience.

Jan 20, 2021 4:30 AM in response to sahilbhardwaj9

This is a feature, not a bug. You want your phone to make phone calls? That's an extra fee.

In all seriousness though, there are thousands of people having this issue. I have had an escalated support case open with Apple since mid December and we're still no further along than when I first started. Verizon came out to my area and confirmed they aren't seeing service issues. There's clearly an iPhone issue. Hopefully it can be fixed with software....

Call Failed/Dropped Calls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.