Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Renamed Home Folder

I followed the directions perfectly listed on the apple support article for this and all my files are not seen

They're there but they aren't seen

The name I had before changing was "rupa" which was the person who used this mac

I got this Mac and I'm using it now so I changed the name to my name - "Sahasvat"

When I go on to that folder, I'm able to see all my old files there, I'm just not able to make them local

Also "test" was the other admin account that I used to rename this one

How can I make things normal again

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 6:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 6:29 AM

Sahasvat_V wrote:

I followed the directions perfectly listed on the apple support article for this and all my files are not seen

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/3485ca8d-f9de-4d4f-9ecc-f8c900fbe27f
The name I had before changing was "rupa" which was the person who used this mac
I got this Mac and I'm using it now so I changed the name to my name - "Sahasvat"

When I go on to that folder, I'm able to see all my old files there, I'm just not able to make them local

Well there is a warning box:

Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder

Creating a new admin account is by far more safe in personalizing your new user account.

set up file sharing if you need to move some of that data to your new account.

YOu can restore from back up.

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac ...

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2020 6:29 AM in response to Sahasvat_V

Sahasvat_V wrote:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/3485ca8d-f9de-4d4f-9ecc-f8c900fbe27f

Well there is a warning box:

Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder

Creating a new admin account is by far more safe in personalizing your new user account.

set up file sharing if you need to move some of that data to your new account.

YOu can restore from back up.

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac ...

Dec 2, 2020 6:50 AM in response to Sahasvat_V

Sahasvat_V wrote:

I did backup all the important data to iCloud
All the data is already there and I signed with my Apple ID and got the data back
And also solved this problem myself, I just had to change the home directory from /Users/rupa to /Users/Sahasvat and to the normal restart process
but this question is not yet solved since the folder "rupa" still exists and it is still there
I wanna know if deleting that folder entirely (I've got the Sahasvat folder now which is the same folder as rupa except its name changed all the contents are the same) but the rupa folder was still there duplicated (I told that before)
Here's what is there in my somehow created by renaming the original "rupa" folder contains

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/94bba902-628e-48eb-bb01-2715657c82b1
Thing that makes me worried is the fact that my music and photo libraries are there
strangely the photo library is also there in the Sahasvat folder but my music library is there in the rupa folder

Well you lost me there a bit in what your saying.

Let me just say in conclusion— to delete a user account, you have to log out of that account from the  if present.

It goes without saying you have to have a least one Admin Account no matter what.

Dec 2, 2020 6:45 AM in response to leroydouglas

I did backup all the important data to iCloud

All the data is already there and I signed with my Apple ID and got the data back

And also solved this problem myself, I just had to change the home directory from /Users/rupa to /Users/Sahasvat and to the normal restart process

but this question is not yet solved since the folder "rupa" still exists and it is still there

I wanna know if deleting that folder entirely (I've got the Sahasvat folder now which is the same folder as rupa except its name changed all the contents are the same) but the rupa folder was still there duplicated (I told that before)

Here's what is there in my somehow created by renaming the original "rupa" folder contains

Thing that makes me worried is the fact that my music and photo libraries are there

strangely the photo library is also there in the Sahasvat folder but my music library is there in the rupa folder

Renamed Home Folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.