Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File dates are wrong on certain apps after file migration from Time Machine on Big Sur

On some programs in the upload/select file dialog (Firefox for example) all my files have a date of "yesterday" as opposed to the actual file date. When I open the same folder in finder the correct dates show up.

How do I fix this? Is this a Big Sur bug or a bug in the compatibility between certain applications and Big Sur?

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 11:14 AM

4 replies

Dec 3, 2020 11:15 AM in response to Barney-15E

I have this too, I see what you're saying but "date added" is useless metric if it picks up "when restored". I want to know, last modified and date created? Has half of that information been destroyed? How do I get it back? What useful information could "date added" possibly convey to me if all 200,000 files on MacBook will have the same date which has nothing to do with when they were created or when they were last modified? This is really awful, like the new notifications.

That aside, in Firefox I don't see how to substitute "date modified" for "date added" in the dialog. Can I? In this or other apps? "Date added" in the context of a restored backup is a totally useless metric, I want to know date modified. It seems like for an upload file dialog, date modified is the right thing - I don't want to know when the file was created, I want to know the most recent revision when I do something like send an email for example. This thing will not fix itself as I update files if I can't change it to date modified. This is horrible for UX. Do I have to go back to windows? What a nightmare.

File dates are wrong on certain apps after file migration from Time Machine on Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.