Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect 23" Apple Cinema Display with Thunderbolt 3 iMac (2020)

I have an Apple Cinema Display 23-Inch (Aluminum) that I’m trying to use as a secondary / external screen on my wife’s iMac 2020 (Catalina). 

I purchased a USB Type C to DVI Female adapter that arrived today and connected it to the DVI cable that comes with the “brick” power supply into the thunderbolt port at the back of the iMac.

The LED power light is on the Cinema Display and the USB cable from the “brick”power supply is connected to the iMac. 

The good news is that the Arrangement tab now appears within System Preferences / Display but the Cinema Display screen is black. I’ve included a couple of pictures.

I’ve gone back online and taken suggestions including rebooting the machine - more than once., rebooted into Safe Mode to ensure each screen is set to its default display settings. I’ve gathered displays and held down the option key to detect displays. The Mirror Screen box is not ticked (ok maybe I am). I’ve logged out and put the iMac into Sleep Mode but no joy. 

There’s nothing wrong with the Cinema Display. I can still plug it back into my wife’s old 2.12 iMac and it’s all systems go. 

Thoughts?

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 11:47 AM

Similar questions

11 replies

Mar 29, 2021 2:23 PM in response to m.schaber

HI m.schaber.

Yes I have the same model as you have with RTD2171U Chispet and on the left of the bar code is the number 61213. Thescreen shows up on Apple Cinema Display 23 but with wrong refresh rate is definitely lower than 60hz and resolution on the ACD23 on this delock is 1920x1080 and the Apple Cinema Display have problem with force the right resolution. I have made in photoshop the issue :) becuase I don't want to plug again this screen to show it :) and reproduce how it works.

So this looks like it force 1920x1080 but for rest of the pixels on the bottom 120px it copy the top of the screen to fill it :)it is really strange.

Mar 29, 2021 2:08 PM in response to ThomasMomeu

Hello ThomasMomeu.

You are right. The adapter says 1920 x 1080 only, but I use the Delock DeLock 61213 adapter successful with an EIZO Screen with 1920 x 1200 (which had the same problems as the Apple Cinema Display 23" – flashing on/off). So I am quite sure that in my setup the Apple Cinema Display would work as well (I did one test before I posted the solution, but I can't tell you in the long run …).

On the product page of the adapter it even says (technical detail page):

https://www.delock.com/produkte/G_61213/merkmale.html

Maximum screen resolution

• 2560 x 1600 @ 60 Hz

• 3840 x 2160 @ 30 Hz

• 4096 x 2160 @ 24 Hz

So it should work with 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz.

You can try to install the Switch Res X system extension as well, but I did some tests and in my case it did not help to solve the chipset issue.

https://www.madrau.com/srx_download/download.html

madrau.com > srx_download > download.html (srx = Switch Res X)

Best m.

Connect 23" Apple Cinema Display with Thunderbolt 3 iMac (2020)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.