Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I open and edit project completed with iMovie that has been finalized and the source file for that iMovie is not in iMovie folder.

Can I open and edit project (using finalcut pro) that was completed with iMovie that has been finalized.

I like to go back to finished iMovie project to add more titles or remove some frames.

imovie can not open or edit a project that is already finalized.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 11:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 12:07 PM

A finalized (exported out) project is a standalone movie. All clips have been joined and all edits have been embedded. In iMovie you can create a new project and import into it the previously exported movie. It will come in as one long clip. You can then edit it to a limited extent, such as splitting the clip into segments, adding effects, adding titles, adding more clips, deleting segments or parts of segments, and cropping segments. However, you cannot un-embed edits that were previously done in the original project unless you can cut them out (such as deleting a title that is on a black background), or trim them out.

If the original project is still operable, you can re-edit it and share it out again. However, this would not be possible if the source files have been deleted from the iMovie library.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2020 12:07 PM in response to Jrbindas

A finalized (exported out) project is a standalone movie. All clips have been joined and all edits have been embedded. In iMovie you can create a new project and import into it the previously exported movie. It will come in as one long clip. You can then edit it to a limited extent, such as splitting the clip into segments, adding effects, adding titles, adding more clips, deleting segments or parts of segments, and cropping segments. However, you cannot un-embed edits that were previously done in the original project unless you can cut them out (such as deleting a title that is on a black background), or trim them out.

If the original project is still operable, you can re-edit it and share it out again. However, this would not be possible if the source files have been deleted from the iMovie library.

-- Rich

Can I open and edit project completed with iMovie that has been finalized and the source file for that iMovie is not in iMovie folder.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.