Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

no longer able to scan on Canon Pixima MX892 on iMac using Catalina 10.15.7

I've been using the Canon Pixima MX892 scanner/printer/copier for years but now the computer doesn't seem to recognize there's a scanner as well as the printer. Is Apple no longer working with Canon? Do I need to start shopping for a new scanner?

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 2:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 2:23 PM

When did the problem start, i.e. did you apply any upgrades or updates just prior to the problem starting?

Try resetting the Printer System according to this Apple document: Solve printing problems on Mac - Apple Support

The Canon website only lists drivers for tip to 10.14, Mojave. If the above doesn't work you can try downloading the driver for Mojave and see if it will work with Catalina.

Lastly give the open source Gutenprint driver a try. Your printer is supported according to this Gutenprint page: Gutenprint Supported Printers  

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2020 2:23 PM in response to markfromatascadero

When did the problem start, i.e. did you apply any upgrades or updates just prior to the problem starting?

Try resetting the Printer System according to this Apple document: Solve printing problems on Mac - Apple Support

The Canon website only lists drivers for tip to 10.14, Mojave. If the above doesn't work you can try downloading the driver for Mojave and see if it will work with Catalina.

Lastly give the open source Gutenprint driver a try. Your printer is supported according to this Gutenprint page: Gutenprint Supported Printers  

Dec 2, 2020 2:26 PM in response to markfromatascadero

The PIXMA Pro MX892 is supported by Apple's Airprint technology built into macOS Catalina and later.

With the device powered and connected via wired/wireless network, visit System Preferences : Printers & Scanners, select your device icon, right-click and choose Reset Print System… . This will initiate a re-add device process, where instead of selecting Canon drivers, you choose AirPrint instead, before re-adding the device. Then, right-click on the device icon again the printer gallery, and choose make default printer. print something.

There should be additional controls on the Printers & Scanners panel that now allow you to access at least the scanner.

no longer able to scan on Canon Pixima MX892 on iMac using Catalina 10.15.7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.