Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scanner problems with Canon MG5420 and Big Sur

I have an iMac, am on OS 11.4 Big Sur. I have no problems printing with my Canon MG5420, but I cannot find a way to use my Canon all-in-one to scan now. I use to be able to do it fine before moving to Big Sur. Any ideas? Thank you.

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 23, 2021 11:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2021 10:50 AM

The last Canon released printer and scanner drivers for this device were released in 2018. Provided you have networked the MG5420 and do not have a USB cable connected to your Mac, it is supported by Apple's built-in AirPrint, and no Canon software or drivers are required. It should support scanning via Apple's Image Capture via AirPrint.

Visit System Preferences > Printers & Scanners, right-click on your MG5420 entry, and from the contextual menu, select Reset printing system… When you re-add the device, choose AirPrint and not any Canon drivers. There may or may not be any scanner setup tab in the Printers & Scanners panel.

If you still cannot achieve scanning, even with Apple's Image Capture, then the recommended VueScan Professional does support it without any other driver or software requirement. I have owned VueScan Professional since 2010, never paid an upgrade fee, and it still supports the same scanner I used in 2010 on my M1 mini running macOS 11.5. I receive no product or compensation from the vendor for mentioning VueScan here.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 24, 2021 10:50 AM in response to whyoga

The last Canon released printer and scanner drivers for this device were released in 2018. Provided you have networked the MG5420 and do not have a USB cable connected to your Mac, it is supported by Apple's built-in AirPrint, and no Canon software or drivers are required. It should support scanning via Apple's Image Capture via AirPrint.

Visit System Preferences > Printers & Scanners, right-click on your MG5420 entry, and from the contextual menu, select Reset printing system… When you re-add the device, choose AirPrint and not any Canon drivers. There may or may not be any scanner setup tab in the Printers & Scanners panel.

If you still cannot achieve scanning, even with Apple's Image Capture, then the recommended VueScan Professional does support it without any other driver or software requirement. I have owned VueScan Professional since 2010, never paid an upgrade fee, and it still supports the same scanner I used in 2010 on my M1 mini running macOS 11.5. I receive no product or compensation from the vendor for mentioning VueScan here.

Jul 24, 2021 10:36 AM in response to whyoga

If Cannon no longer supports your scanner, then you can download and try VueScan for free. Used during the trial period it will leave a watermark. It is a full featured scanner app and is well supported. There is a one time fee to buy it. I purchased it and I recommend it. I have no association with VueScan. Cheaper than buying a new scanner.

Scanner problems with Canon MG5420 and Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.