Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have upgraded my software on my Imac to Big Sur, now I cannot connect my Epson Stylus Photo TX710W to print. Epson does not have a driver for Big Sur. What are my options?

I have upgraded my software on my Imac to Big Sur, now I cannot connect my Epson Stylus Photo TX710W to print. Epson does not have a driver for Big Sur. What are my options?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 2, 2020 10:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2020 11:07 AM

Hi,

If nothing else works, you may want to carry out a test with the escp2-tx710w Gutenprint driver (http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net/p_Supported_Printers.php).

Safely open apps on your Mac - Apple Support

Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem - Apple Support

Add a printer on Mac - Apple Support

8 replies

Dec 2, 2020 11:19 PM in response to Perplex70

What OS did you upgrade from to get to Big Sur.

It really is important to check whether your third party software and any printers etc will still work before upgrading the OS.

https://www.epson.eu/support?productID=19937&language=en&os=36#drivers_and_manuals

The last OS your printer was supported under was the last OS Catalina you can try downloading and then installing

the drivers for that to see if your mac will then print. Make sure the operating system selector is set for

macOS 10.15 Catalina.

Or click on this link to see if your printer is an AirPrint enabled printer,

About AirPrint – Apple Support

Dec 3, 2020 1:20 AM in response to Perplex70

As you only upgraded from Catalina to Big Sur then the printer drivers will still be installed.

Won't hurt things to reinstall them and see if it makes any difference.

Have you contacted Epson to see if they are going to update the drivers for the TX710W.

As Big Sur is a very new OS it may take time for manufacturers of printers

etc to release updated drivers, if they are going to.

If you are thinking of buying a new printer you will need to make sure it can operate

in Big Sur, most of the ones you will find in store would have been manufactured before

Big Sur was announced so may not have any indicators on the box saying if it is compatible

with Big Sur. So be very careful. Do your own research, do not trust store staff.

Epson make a very similar printer to yours called the PX710W, this printer does have

a Big Sur driver. If it were me I would download this driver and see if it works with your TX710W.

Click here, https://www.epson.eu/support?productID=3589&language=en&os=38#drivers_and_manuals

When the download finishes double-click on it to install, restart your mac, connect your printer

and see if there is any progress.

Dec 4, 2020 7:06 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Hi everyone,

Thank you for help. The Gutenprint driver did the trick and I was able to add my printer to my iMac.

I did call Epson support on two phone numbers. One number connected me to an Australian support centre who advised me that a driver would be available for my printer sometime in December. The other connected me to Iassume an Indian support centre, he told me as my printer is 8 to 10 years old there would not be an updated driver for my printer and to check with Apple support to see if my printer is list on their site and maube I will beable used an Apple driver. No luck there, anyway all is working again.

Thanks again for all your help.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.