Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i need help on how to upgrade to a higher version from OSX Yosemite 10.10.5 to a higher version.Can someone kindly help here?

i need help on how to upgrade to a higher version from OSX Yosemite 10.10.5 to a higher version.Can someone kindly help here?

Posted on Dec 3, 2020 12:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2020 10:13 PM

First of al there is no Apple Support Team here, this is a users to users community, Apple do not take part.

Secondly in my first post I gave you all the information you need to discover what year your mac is and by

using the links provided you would be able to ascertain that your 2011 mac can only upgrade as far as

macOS High Sierra the information is there on how to obtain the upgrade as well.

macOS High Sierra can run both 32bit and 64bit apps.

Open Safari, do not use Firefox.

Click on the How To Get old versions of mac OS's link in my first post,

scroll down to Download OS and click on macOS High Sierra.

This will redirect you to the App Store High Sierra download page,

it should say Get or Download.

Again follow the instructions in my first post about backing up and

checking your apps in Roaring Apps.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2020 10:13 PM in response to paulrugomoka

First of al there is no Apple Support Team here, this is a users to users community, Apple do not take part.

Secondly in my first post I gave you all the information you need to discover what year your mac is and by

using the links provided you would be able to ascertain that your 2011 mac can only upgrade as far as

macOS High Sierra the information is there on how to obtain the upgrade as well.

macOS High Sierra can run both 32bit and 64bit apps.

Open Safari, do not use Firefox.

Click on the How To Get old versions of mac OS's link in my first post,

scroll down to Download OS and click on macOS High Sierra.

This will redirect you to the App Store High Sierra download page,

it should say Get or Download.

Again follow the instructions in my first post about backing up and

checking your apps in Roaring Apps.

Dec 3, 2020 12:41 AM in response to paulrugomoka

The App Store Updates page only informs you of updates available for the OS you are running.

Installing a newer OS is called an upgrade.

Which OS you can upgrade to will be governed by which model and year your mac is.

Click on the  top left of your screen click on About This Mac to find out the year of your mac.

For older OS’s,

Open Safari and click on this link, 

How to get old versions of macOS – Apple Support

Go to Check Compatibility to see if your mac qualifies for the OS upgrade you want.

Then go to the Download OS section and click on the OS you want to install.

If you want to or are able to install Big Sur, open Safari and click on the link below.

How to upgrade to macOS Big Sur - Apple Support

Before upgrading make a full back up of your Mac.

Check that third party apps you use have updates available for the new OS.

https://roaringapps.com

Check that your printers/ scanners etc have updated drivers and software available for the new OS.

Connect your mac to your router via cable rather than rely on WiFi.

Do not use your mac while it is downloading

and do not use any other devices that share the same internet connection.

If the App Store says ‘Open’ then it is detecting a previous download of the install app

go to the Applications folder locate Install macOS ******.app.

Move it to the Trash, empty the Trash.

Restart, click on the link again, the App Store should say ‘Get' or 'Download'.

If you are considering upgrading to Catalina or Big Sur be warned they do not support 32bit apps.

Your Mac is probably running 32bit apps and these will need to be updated to 64bit apps,

some updates may be free, some may be paid. Use this app to discover which apps you have

are 32bit, https://www.stclairsoft.com/Go64/ then contact the developers of the software to see

if they are providing 64bit updates or alternatives.

Dec 3, 2020 9:21 PM in response to Eau Rouge

Thanks a lot Eau Rogue for the quick response to my upgrade question,however kindly help and advise on the following

I have a macbook pro "17" Version 10.10.5 Os X Yosemite Early 2011

Am asking if i can upgrade to a higher version and how do i do it.Reason being sometimes downloads refuse giving me a message that i need a higher version higher than Osx 10.10.5

Kindly help how do i do it.Thank you for the info on checking about the 32bit or 64 bit.When i run the software "64" it showed me some apps in 32 bit and most in 64 bit.So from here how do i proceed?

Thanks a lot the Apple Support Team surely u do a great work.I would recommend apple products to others.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.