Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quitting unexpectedly

I’m trying to update my Xbox one wired controller in my MacBook, it lets me download the disk drive to do so but when I plug my controller in it keeps quitting unexpectedly. Is there a reason why it’s doing this or how to get round it?

MacBook, OS X 10.10

Posted on Dec 3, 2020 1:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2020 7:08 PM

Yes, that would be the idea. I can't guarantee 100% that this will work, but it would be worth a try.

Ref: If a Mac accessory needs more power or is using too much power - Apple Support

Similar questions

10 replies

Dec 3, 2020 9:34 AM in response to ollie282

If I understood you correctly, you are attempting to update the Xbox One controller's firmware by attaching it to your MacBook ... correct? If so, it may be that the USB port on the MacBook may be too underpowered to let this work properly. Have you tried, using a powered-USB hub between the controller and the notebook to see if this resolves the problem?

Dec 3, 2020 10:05 AM in response to Tesserax

Yeah that’s right, when I open the disk drive to start the download it just ‘quits unexpectedly’. I’ve ran checks and everything, updated my laptop etc etc but still doesn’t work And there’s nothing wrong. I have to use a USB hub for my MacBook anyway as there isn’t any USB ports. So even before I plug the USB port in (and after) it quits unexpectedly and doesn’t say why.

Dec 4, 2020 12:57 PM in response to ollie282

Sorry, but you said "4 port drive." Then you meant to say "hub" ... correct? If so, then yes, connecting it to your notebook's USB-C port may not provide enough power, regardless of which of the 4 ports on the hub, you use for the controller, especially if you have any other devices connected to any of the other 3 ports simultaneously.

Quitting unexpectedly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.