Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP 13' M1 External Display (LG 35' HDR) with pale colors (way to bright)

Hi,

I've a MBP with M1 and use it with an external display (LG 35WN75C-B, it supports HDR) and the

Screen is way too bright. Especially black will be displayed as gray.

The same displays works perfectly on my Macbook Pro 13"(Late 2016) with Intel Processor.

I tried to disable/enable HDR, but it doesn't solve the problem.

The photo shows the new MBP with M1 compared to my old MBP (Late 2016)

Compared to my old MBP (it's way darker and looks great).

Please fix the issue.

Regards

Ronny

New M1 MBP 13:

Posted on Dec 3, 2020 4:20 AM

29 replies

Dec 9, 2020 10:47 AM in response to RonnyCSHARP

Hi Ronny,

Thanks for your post! It sounds like your LG display doesn't have the same results using your M1 MacBook Pro compared to your older Mac. We'll do our best to help out with this and see if we can get this resolved.

Does this happen after you login or after sleep? If so, check out the following under section, 'Contrast or color issues': Get help with video issues on external displays connected to your Mac

Should it continue to occur, let us know how you have the display connected to these Macs and what cable is needed for the display to work properly with Mac. In System Preferences > Displays > Color > what's the current profile set to exactly?

Hoping this helps out, take care!

Jan 7, 2021 5:22 PM in response to RonnyCSHARP

I'm having this same issue when my M1 MacBook Pro connects to a LG Ultra external display via USB-C. This happens regardless of login or sleep.

I'm using the exact same color profile (.icc) an older MacBook of mine uses. The older MacBook has no display issues.

One important note: when I look into the LG monitor settings, all the settings are the same when I connect both monitors, except one:

Black Level

When the 2019 MBP is connected —Black Level: High

When the M1 MBP is connected — Black Level: Low

The problem is, I can't switch the setting because it is greyed out.

Please let me know if there is anything I can try — thanks!

Jan 9, 2021 2:59 PM in response to sterling r

Hey,

just get my display (LG 35WN75C-A). Just same error. When I activated the HDR mode in Preferences > Displays, the black color is dark grey.

When I deactivate the mode, the monitor just stays in dark grey colors instead of black. I have to connect the display with an HDMI cable to my USB-C adapter. Than black is black again. When I connect USB-C again, black is black.

So for me it seems that the HDR mode in MacOS has a little problem.

Jan 9, 2021 3:31 PM in response to Sly DLake

I tried HDMI instead of USB-C and it looked great. But when I went back to USB-C, black went back to grey. I'd rather not switch to HDMI because then I have to buy yet another adapter.

I was able to change Black Mode in the monitor's settings and it made no difference, so that has nothing to do with the issue.

I hope there is an update really soon!

Feb 1, 2021 11:07 PM in response to Sly DLake

Received my monitor yesterday and wish I’d have done a bit more research before buying now! I’ve tried various settings all to no avail, still grey.

Has anyone found a workaround by using different cables? i.e. Thunderbolt rather than USB3, Thunderbolt to DisplayPort? Really don’t want to go down the HDMI route as will need a (very expensive) Thunderbolt 3 hub to get everything I need connected!

Do you think Apple/LG will correct this soon or is it a return job?!

Feb 2, 2021 5:54 AM in response to Brad_Hornett

Update: managed to change Black Effect to High in HDR effect mode when connecting via HDMI. I can then go back to USBC input. This is a huge improvement but the monitor turns that black effect to Low after a reboot and it’s greyed out (cannot be changed) so have to go through the whole process again. Real pain and still deciding wether to keep it or not!

Feb 3, 2021 1:18 PM in response to Brad_Hornett

I've just got one of these too, for my mac mini m1... same issue over usb-c. (seemed ok, on hdmi)

one thing that seems to have helped for me is.

settings -> picture -> game adjust ... turn black stabalizer to zero.

looks pretty good now.... but still not as crisp as my LG 27" IPS,

bit this might be a bit unfair.... the washed out look, also kind of set it up for a fail.

perhaps now, thats fixed... I'll get used to it, certainly its a really nice size monitor, once I stop 'pixel peeking' it, it may turn out to be absolutely fine.

the issue with the 4k IPS monitors is they are all 2140 (?) vertical resolution, which is a bit too small for text, so Ive ended up scaling it down. (1640?) ... hence going for this monitor with 1440 native res but wide.

now the colour issue seems fixed, Im hoping it will end up as a good compromise (considering budget)

Feb 17, 2021 1:47 AM in response to RonnyCSHARP

I've seen the bug is still available. Sorry, you're right.

On my machine, I could fix it by using a usb-c to hdmi cable.

After removing the hdmi-cable, and switching back to usb-c, the colors look pretty good, black is black.

Looks still good after restarting macOS.

I thought the issue was fixed by the update, but it was only fixed by the hdmi / usb-c switching.

That's a bad workaround. Don't activate HDR in macOS Display settings, because than you have to do

all steps again. Ticket is still unsolved.

But I can't reopen it again.

MBP 13' M1 External Display (LG 35' HDR) with pale colors (way to bright)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.