Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I have to transfer my SIM card from old iPhone to the new one?

do i have to transfer my sim card from old phone to new phone? I bought phone directly from apple and did the data transfer from phone to phone.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 6, iOS 12

Posted on Dec 3, 2020 3:06 PM

9 replies

Dec 3, 2020 3:26 PM in response to jrc611

jrc611 wrote:

hmmm - everything seemed to transer over automatically so that is why I'm wondering

Your data is not stored on the SIM, it's stored in iCloud. All the SIM does is connect your phone to your carrier. If you don't transfer the SIM, you'll need to change the SIM number in your account by contacting your carrier. They may have a self-serve option if you sign into your cellular account online.

Dec 3, 2020 3:32 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

IdrisSeabright wrote:

If you don't transfer the SIM, you'll need to change the SIM number in your account by contacting your carrier.

I believe this is why you prefer transferring your SIM card.

In my case, I’ve always been with AT&T. When I order a replacement iPhone from Apple online, I am asked which carrier and answer “AT&T”. I can then submit my telephone number and some personal identifying information, and, lo and behold, when the new iPhone arrives, it is preset to expect to be placed in service using my telephone number, and the service switches to the new iPhone easily and quickly as part of the setup process.

Do I have to transfer my SIM card from old iPhone to the new one?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.