Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

do i need to transfer SIM card from my old iphone to my new one?

Do I need to transfer the SIM card from my old phone to my new one?

iPhone 12, iOS 15

Posted on Apr 5, 2022 3:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2022 3:17 PM

That answer lies almost 100% with your carrier, and whether your phone is locked or unlocked.

Generally, if you source your phone from a carrier, it comes with a SIM locked to that carrier. Chances are your new phone has a SIM in it, and the carrier needs to update their registration to send calls to the new SIM rather than the old one.

If both your phones are unlocked then you may be able to transfer the SIM.

As is, no one here can answer definitively.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 5, 2022 3:17 PM in response to Christmascats2

That answer lies almost 100% with your carrier, and whether your phone is locked or unlocked.

Generally, if you source your phone from a carrier, it comes with a SIM locked to that carrier. Chances are your new phone has a SIM in it, and the carrier needs to update their registration to send calls to the new SIM rather than the old one.

If both your phones are unlocked then you may be able to transfer the SIM.

As is, no one here can answer definitively.

do i need to transfer SIM card from my old iphone to my new one?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.