Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Startup manager issue. I need to select disk on startup always.

Hi,

I have some issue when I startup my macbook pro 2010.

When I press the button, after sound on, I need to select startup disk every time... I have only one SSD disk with system and this issue have been started day to day...

It's not a big problem but I want to press button and go away before system start but I always need to wait, than select my ONLY ONE disk and then loading with apple logo starts.

Do you have any solution for this?

In preferences menu I have got selected this one disk for default startup but my mac still automatically run into Startup Manager, then I select disk and after that loading system starts.

Thanks a lot for response,

Matt

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 3, 2020 3:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2020 4:05 PM

First Reset SMC How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Then reset NVRAM Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Hold command R after start to enter recovery mode.

Open Disk Utility, select your Mac HD and run First Air. If it brings you any errors, run it again a few times in a row until you see no error anymore.

After that, restart holding Shift to enter Safe Mode. Once loaded, simply restart normally and check if the problem persists. Maybe it'll go away after some of the previous steps, the entire process will do some good to your Mac.

If it doesn't work you should reinstall macOS.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2020 4:05 PM in response to Glowal2

First Reset SMC How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

Then reset NVRAM Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Hold command R after start to enter recovery mode.

Open Disk Utility, select your Mac HD and run First Air. If it brings you any errors, run it again a few times in a row until you see no error anymore.

After that, restart holding Shift to enter Safe Mode. Once loaded, simply restart normally and check if the problem persists. Maybe it'll go away after some of the previous steps, the entire process will do some good to your Mac.

If it doesn't work you should reinstall macOS.

Dec 4, 2020 11:26 AM in response to Glowal2

Thanks a lot for response.

Mr. Rafael:

• I reset the NVRAM/PRAM, after that I selected my one disk as default in Preferences but... my Macbook still showing me disk to select..
  • I can't reset SMC becouse.... only my CTRL key doesn't work...
  • When I want to enter recovery mode, my MAC doesn't show Recovery menu but Internet Recovery.. It's not a problem but when I want to type wifi pasword my keyboard doesn't work... no sign. When I conected via ethernet I ran Recovery mode and First aid said that my disk is health.

After that I went to Recovery mode, wipe my SSD and instal new OS but... when it restarted while instalation he show me disk to select... my SSD and Macintosh instaler, something like that..

So any ideas?

My idea is to instal Bootcamp with Windows and than when MAC Starding I can choose Windows or Mac :D

But... Why this started day to day? One day it worked properly and two days later he shows this menu..

Or maybe You know how to reset SMC without keyboard, without Control key. Maybe from terminal?

Thanks and I'm still waiting for solution.

Matt

Dec 3, 2020 6:49 PM in response to Glowal2

In addition to the advice offered by @Rafael you need to set the default startup disk after resetting the PRAM. To set the default startup disk you need to launch System Preferences, then select the "Startup Disk" icon. You will need to unlock the pane by clicking on the padlock on the lower left corner. Once unlocked you can highlight the drive icon which you want to be the default boot volume.

Do you have the original Apple hard drive or SSD installed? Or have you upgraded to a third party SSD?

When you Option Boot the laptop, does the boot volume appear in a timely manner or does it take a while before it is shown? Maybe your drive is taking longer to spin up or initialize after powering on the laptop. Does the same thing happen when you restart the Mac?

You may want to check the health of the drive by running DriveDx and posting the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

Dec 4, 2020 12:22 PM in response to Glowal2

I don't see any concerns in the DriveDx report.

You can also reset the PRAM using the command line. Launch the Terminal app and execute the following command:

sudo  nvram  -c

You will be prompted for your admin password, but you won't see anything on the screen as you type the password. Press the "Return" key to submit your password and at the end of the command given above.

Dec 4, 2020 6:23 PM in response to Glowal2

Glowal2 wrote:
• I can't reset SMC becouse.... only my CTRL key doesn't work...
• When I want to enter recovery mode, my MAC doesn't show Recovery menu but Internet Recovery.

If you are always in Startup manager (aka system picker), the Alt/Option key is stuck ON.

If you do not enter the proper recovery mode, then some other keys are not working either.

Your keyboard is falling apart.

Startup manager issue. I need to select disk on startup always.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.