Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Select startup disk" window taking too long to show me disk options

Hi,

I have a MacBook Pro (intel) with macOS Catalina and I decided to make an upgrade to Monterey. The computer has been installing and arrived at a point where it requests me to choose a startup disk. The problem is that it is not being able to give me disk options for me to select, it just keeps getting me a loading icon. I thought about restarting but I don't know the implications of it, will I lose some data?

Can someone help me?

Thank you

Posted on Apr 26, 2022 1:24 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Apr 26, 2022 1:35 PM in response to tmduarte98

Is the user attempting to Install Monterey onto the External Drive that has Catalina already installed on it ?

Has the Internal Drive of the computer already been upGraded to Monterey ?

There are reports appearing on the ASC Forums regarding failed installation of Monterey on older Qualifying Apple Computers. In most cases this is related to having a NON Apple Original internal drive ?  

In you case - the External Drive as the Destination for Monterey Installation would come into play

The EFI Boot ROM included in Monterey is verifying for Original Apple Drive and if not found , may Balk or fail to upgrade to Monterey. 

Reports indicate the EFI BOOT ROM is Required to Flash the Computer and is a  requirement for a Successful Monterey Installation.

Apr 26, 2022 2:43 PM in response to PRP_53

I apologize,

This is a process that occured in an attempt to upgrade the software to Monterey. At this moment the computer is in an update routine and even if you restart the computer, it does not come out of this routine.

To answer your questions:

"Has the Internal Drive of the computer already been upGraded to Monterey?" - i think yes.

"In most cases this is related to having a NON Apple Original internal drive?" - no, this computer has an original Apple internal drive.

"Select startup disk" window taking too long to show me disk options

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.