Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Startup disk mode?

I’m trying to update my 2019 MacBook Air to Monterey because I needed to update some Microsoft apps. And when I updated it I got stuck here. And no I don’t have another computer I can connect it to.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 28, 2022 6:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2022 6:49 AM

Dixxle2022 wrote:

I’m trying to update my 2019 MacBook Air to Monterey because I needed to update some Microsoft apps. And when I updated it I got stuck here. And no I don’t have another computer I can connect it to.
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/c94739e0-1a01-4264-8ddb-88fee0183a81

Reboot as normal...?

This is a Thunderbolt, USB, or FireWire symbol

A large Thunderbolt , USB , or FireWire

symbol against a dark background means that your Mac is in 

target disk mode

ref:

If your Mac doesn't start up all the way - Apple Support

Transfer files between two Mac computers using target disk mode - Apple Support

Try a safe boot if you are stuck Try a SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

How to upgrade to macOS Monterey

How to upgrade to macOS Monterey - Apple Support

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2022 6:49 AM in response to Dixxle2022

Dixxle2022 wrote:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/c94739e0-1a01-4264-8ddb-88fee0183a81

Reboot as normal...?

This is a Thunderbolt, USB, or FireWire symbol

A large Thunderbolt , USB , or FireWire

symbol against a dark background means that your Mac is in 

target disk mode

ref:

If your Mac doesn't start up all the way - Apple Support

Transfer files between two Mac computers using target disk mode - Apple Support

Try a safe boot if you are stuck Try a SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

How to upgrade to macOS Monterey

How to upgrade to macOS Monterey - Apple Support

Feb 28, 2022 10:43 AM in response to Dixxle2022

First do you have a Time Machine backup of your MBA drive? If so do the following; boot into the Recovery volume (boot with the Command + R keys held down  - Intel Macs) or  (How to Boot an M1 Mac into Recovery Mode), select Disk Utility, erase the entire drive and reinstall the system. When you first reboot select Migration Assistant and migrate your MBA backup from Time Machine to the newly installed system.

Mar 2, 2022 1:32 PM in response to Dixxle2022

You can try booting into Safe Mode which may possibly allow the installation to finish.

You can try booting into Recovery Mode (or Internet Recovery Mode) and see if it is possible to revert to the earlier APFS system snapshot that macOS should have before the update was attempted. You will select "Restore from Time Machine" option even if you don't use Time Machine. After selecting that option, there may be a "Local Snapshot" option you can choose.

You should always have frequent and regular backups of your computer and all external media which contains important & unique data. There are lots of ways to lose your data especially on these USB-C Macs.

Startup disk mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.