Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating MacBook Pro software to sync with iPhone 7 OS 14.2

Hello. I got a message on my 13" MacBook pro that I need to update my software to sync my iPhone 7(iOS 14.2). My MacBook Pro OS is High Sierra 10.13.6 What update do I need? Don't want to get Mojave OS because I'm afraid my old programs won't work.

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Dec 3, 2020 5:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2020 5:08 PM

Good evening JSquadman,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

It sounds like you are seeing a prompt to update your macOS software to sync with your iPhone 7 running iOS 14.2.

If you want to sync your devices using a USB cable, then you may need to update the Mac.

You shouldn't have an issue with your older software if you upgrade to macOS Mojave 10.14.6.

macOS Catalina and the current macOS Big Sur require 64 bit applications and may not work with your older software.

Overview to syncing your Mac and your devices - macOS User Guide

Subscribe to iTunes Match - sync your iTunes library wirelessly with iTunes Match or Apple Music

How to get old versions of macOS

How to update the software on your Mac

If the issue persists, please reply to this thread and we'll do our best to help you!

Take care.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2020 5:08 PM in response to JSquadman

Good evening JSquadman,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

It sounds like you are seeing a prompt to update your macOS software to sync with your iPhone 7 running iOS 14.2.

If you want to sync your devices using a USB cable, then you may need to update the Mac.

You shouldn't have an issue with your older software if you upgrade to macOS Mojave 10.14.6.

macOS Catalina and the current macOS Big Sur require 64 bit applications and may not work with your older software.

Overview to syncing your Mac and your devices - macOS User Guide

Subscribe to iTunes Match - sync your iTunes library wirelessly with iTunes Match or Apple Music

How to get old versions of macOS

How to update the software on your Mac

If the issue persists, please reply to this thread and we'll do our best to help you!

Take care.

Dec 9, 2020 5:23 PM in response to JSquadman

Judy has missed the issue. This is the appropriate Apple article:

If you see "Software update is required to connect to your iOS device" on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

This was obviously written by Apple's Department of Obfuscation. The fact is the update is small and only patches iTunes in High Sierra and Mojave so that you can continue to use iTunes to back up, sync, and upgrade your iPhone. It WILL NOT change you macOS version.

I've done the patch on both my "mission-critical" Macs with no changes to the OS they were running or any ill effect. It is safe. All that is wrong is Apple's poor wording in the dialog box and the support article.

Dec 9, 2020 5:44 PM in response to judysings

Thanx a lot Judysings and Allan. Very helpful.😊

Allan, since you said that Catalina and Big Sur require 64 bit, do you know if QuickTime Player 7 Pro version 7.6.6 runs 64bit? The latest QuickTime Player 10.4 that I have is weak and doesn’t have the A/V controls. The A/V controls are a deal breaker for me because I need to slow down video for PopLock and MJ dance rehearsal. —- Thanx. 🖖😎

Updating MacBook Pro software to sync with iPhone 7 OS 14.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.