Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I go to update it says I must sign in as an administrator. Haven’t got a clue what it means

When I go to update to Big Sur it says I must log in as administrator. Haven’t got a clue what to do

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 4, 2020 6:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2020 10:22 AM

Follow the directions in this Apple document to reset your password to one you can remember: Change or reset the password of a macOS user account - Apple Support

4 replies

Dec 4, 2020 7:03 AM in response to Lou2793

You are being asked to enter the user name and the password of an administrator's account on the Mac. This is required for the installation of all software, Apple's and others.

If you go to System Preferences > Users and Groups you will see a list of the user names. There may only be one. If there are multiple user accounts on the Mac some of these users may be authorised as administrators, and at least one of them must be an administrator (ie. the first one established on the Mac).

If you are the only user of your iMac the password will be the one you use to open your computer, such as after waking from sleep and after a restart - unless you have used the option in Users and Groups to log in automatically. This will bypass the password requirement, not a practice to be recommended.

When I go to update it says I must sign in as an administrator. Haven’t got a clue what it means

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.