Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 12 Pro Max Poor Speaker Volume

Hello. Me and my partner have just upgraded our 11 pro maxes to the 12 pro maxes. Quite like them, not had many issues as of yet but one issue that is bugging me is the volume of the speakers on the phone itself. Although we have both configured the settings and checked the phone is on full volume both 12’s seem more quiet than our iPhone 11 Pro maxes. Does anyone know why this could be? Quite disappointing, especially for a user like me that uses my speakers on my phone all the time for music and video etc.. Thanks in advance!

iPhone 12 Pro Max, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 4, 2020 7:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 28, 2021 7:36 PM

The issue I am having is the volume with the phone. I cannot hear who I called, or who called me!? The volume is all the way up! Any suggestions would be welcome!! I got the phone around Christmas. This just started late last week I believe.

30 replies

Apr 25, 2021 5:03 AM in response to Nathan_Castledine

volume on my regular calls is so low now I cannot even hear the person on the other end unless it’s on speakerphone or Bluetooth earpiece. It’s terrible and I don’t understand why. Even when I get calls I don’t often even hear the calls. It’s wasn’t this bad but it’s like with each update the volume control gets worst and worst. I hope Apple does something to fix this ASAP

Jun 4, 2021 8:12 PM in response to Nathan_Castledine

My hearing is not great, but I could easily hear my phone 6. Infact it it blasted and I never missed a call. I bought a new 12 and now everyone is ****** at me because I do not hear the phone signal. What is going on? I humped out over 800 dollars for a phone that might become useless for me because they is not enough power the the speaker. That is not nice on apples part.

Jun 11, 2021 4:37 PM in response to Nathan_Castledine

I have been having this exact problem. I have attempted every fix that I can find and was searching for some hopefully new information today when I noticed that if I press and hold the power/siri button on the side, the volume increases again. I am also noticing that the ringer volume is not near as low as the notification. I would love to know if anyone else has an increase in volume after they press and hold the power button for a second. I learned this by running a notification sound that goes for about 20 seconds. It would be very soft and then when I press the power button for a couple of seconds, the volume would increase. I sure hope they find a solution to this because buying the iPhone 12 max pro to get a good phone, to not Even be able to hear it, is very frustrating!

Jan 7, 2021 4:56 AM in response to JohnErdinc

I own a 12 Pro Max and suffer the same problem. I did noticed that when I’m watching something on Twitter and I zoom in and out a bit the sound gets like 30% louder. But as soon as I release it to bounce back to original format, the audio will reduce to underperforming levels again. I think it’s a software thingy apple needs to fix.

Jan 26, 2021 1:00 PM in response to Nathan_Castledine

I'm having the same issue. I can barely hear my conversations when using my speaker....in a silent house. I use the volume control to increase the volume, and my phone keeps decreasing it. I have to hold my iPhone 12 Pro Max up to my ear to hear, which defeats the purpose of using a speaker. So incredibly frustrating. I've devoted way too much time to trying to solve the problem. I wish Apple would fix the issue.

My husband just completely misses calls due to his phone not ringing. This happened to his XS and now on his 12. Also, devoted too much time trying to resolve the issue. Looks like he has to turn off his Bluetooth if he wants his phone to ring.

I'm so disappointed with our iPhones lately.

Jan 28, 2021 10:47 PM in response to SEC3

if he has to turn of Bluetooth for the sound to return, it may be a malfunctioning device that’s connecting and is messing around with his sound. Maybe you should try to look what device sinfonia this? I noticed my Powerbeats pro connect disconnect connect disconnect allot sometimes. And their not even out off the box. many times I’ve found them empty when I needed to use them. Maybe something similar is happening with his phone and devices?

Jan 28, 2021 10:54 PM in response to Bigdog36

Maybe your connected to a Bluetooth device. I noticed that my Powerbeats pro, while in the box an nobody touched them, sometimes randomly connect with my iPhone 12 Pro Max, than disconnect and again and again and again. I wonder if this is the reason why they are empty when I want too use them for a zoom call. So anoying. One Job!!!! Maybe this is a Bluetooth bug or something? It would explain allot of problems but not the poor speaker volume.

Jun 20, 2021 6:32 PM in response to Nathan_Castledine

I am having the same problem. I use my phone to Bluetooth and play music off my external speaker and the phone makes the music play low like a funeral. When I use my daughter’s cheap Alcatel I get better output. I also can’t enjoy my live DJ shows like I use to sending cool emoji because I can’t change the boring keyboard this 12 pro max comes with.

Jun 23, 2021 6:41 PM in response to Nathan_Castledine

Guys, I don't know how helpful this will be, BUT -- I was having this very same problem with the volume, and it turned out that I installed the screen protector UPSIDE DOWN! So the speaker was nicely sealed. Of course not much sound would come through! Screen protector pried up and turned 180* so the notch was where it was supposed to be... wah-lah!

iPhone 12 Pro Max Poor Speaker Volume

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.