Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow network connection establishment after wakeup. (if WiFi on + Cable plugged)

If the wifi is turned on and the network cable is also connected to the iMAC, the network connection will be established in 5-10 seconds when waking up after sleep mode. 

When wifi is off, only the network cable is plugged all network functions are available immediately after the wakeup.

This situation is appeared after the Big Sur upgrade.

Please advise.

Thanks

iMac 27″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 4, 2020 11:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2020 9:21 AM

F_Jozsef,

Thank you for that information. When it take the time to connect, does it usually end up connecting to your Wi-Fi or the ethernet cable? The delay may be from the Mac choosing which network to connect to since both types of connection are available. Do you have your networks listed in order of which one you want your Mac to use? Check out how to Change the order of the network ports your Mac uses. Does this continue to happen after doing so?

Hope that helps!

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2020 9:21 AM in response to F_Jozsef

F_Jozsef,

Thank you for that information. When it take the time to connect, does it usually end up connecting to your Wi-Fi or the ethernet cable? The delay may be from the Mac choosing which network to connect to since both types of connection are available. Do you have your networks listed in order of which one you want your Mac to use? Check out how to Change the order of the network ports your Mac uses. Does this continue to happen after doing so?

Hope that helps!

Dec 10, 2020 2:12 PM in response to F_Jozsef

Hi F_Jozsef,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities. From our understanding, your Mac is taking a bit of time to connect to your Wi-Fi network after signing into your user, do we have that right? What version of macOS Big Sur do you have installed? Does this happen with any Wi-Fi network you connect to or a specific one? Does it continue in safe mode? Check out How to use safe mode on your Mac.

Does this continue if you only have Wi-Fi and do not have the Network cable connected as well?

Be sure your Mac is running the latest version of the macOS: How to update the software on your Mac.

Let us know!

Dec 11, 2020 8:28 AM in response to Leanne_68

Hi Leanne_68,

Thank you very much for your reply. I am sending my answers:

1, From our understanding, your Mac is taking a bit of time to connect to your Wi-Fi network after signing into your user, do we have that right?

- Not really, the problem is: If the Lan Cable plugged + Wifi is ON the availability of network (internet and local) resources takes at least 10 seconds after wake up from sleep mode.

2, What version of macOS Big Sur do you have installed?

- Latest available 11.0.1

3, Does this happen with any Wi-Fi network you connect to or a specific one?

- This is an iMac I just use in my home.

4, Does it continue in safe mode? Check out How to use safe mode on your Mac.

- There is no issue in safe mode.

Does this continue if you only have Wi-Fi and do not have the Network cable connected as well?

- I tested all scenarios and here are the results:

a, in case of cable connection there is no problem, I can reach all resources, webpage immediately.

b, in case of Wifi connection there is no problem, I can reach all resources, webpage immediately.

c, wifi ON + Plugged cable = 5-10 sec delay.

Important information: the problem occurs if the iMac wakes up from sleep mode.

I hope this information can help.

Thanks,

Slow network connection establishment after wakeup. (if WiFi on + Cable plugged)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.