Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Continuous echo of sound in joining Google Meet.

I recently bought MacBook Pro 13" 2.0 GHz Core i5, 2020 and when I join a Google Meet, I and other people in the meeting hear s continuous echo. When I leave the meeting, the issue gets resolved for other attendees of the meeting. I tried both Safari and Google Chrome and both have the same issue. My speakers and microphone works fine in Photo Booth(I tested).

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.0

Posted on Dec 5, 2020 9:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2020 10:04 AM

Sometimes having your speaker volume turned up too loud can do that. That is where headphones may really help.

Also, adjusting the sensitivity of your microphone through System Preferences may help:

I don't use Google products but, in the Zoom app, there are audio options. See if something like that is available in Google Meet.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2020 10:04 AM in response to mohsiinnkhan

Sometimes having your speaker volume turned up too loud can do that. That is where headphones may really help.

Also, adjusting the sensitivity of your microphone through System Preferences may help:

I don't use Google products but, in the Zoom app, there are audio options. See if something like that is available in Google Meet.

Dec 5, 2020 1:38 PM in response to mohsiinnkhan

mohsiinnkhan wrote:

Yes, using external mic is a different option but I'm wondering what's wrong with internal mic of my Macbook?

There is nothing wrong with the internal mic. It's how mics work. It pics up the sound from your speakers then transmits that sound which is a little delayed making it sound like an echo. Mute the internal speakers.

Jan 6, 2021 6:59 AM in response to pogacsa

pogacsa wrote:

noithing wrong with your MBP. It is Google's Meet. I have the same issue with my 2019 BMP 15. Only Meet, this problem not exists on Zoom, Skype, Teams, just on Google Meet.

I beg to disagree. It is how built-in speakers and mics work. This is why when you put your phone on speaker it sounds like you are in a barrel (echo). This is why you don't see news people on TV using their computer's built-in mics and speakers. Use an external headset and mic.

Jan 6, 2021 7:08 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

No. I am using Macs internal mic and speaker since 2009 for mostly Skype calls for that time, but since many others. The only pain is Google Meet, what is unable to eliminate this echo from a team call. Of course using a headset is making Google life easier as two separate channels for in and output. But if you ever used a conf call over a speaker you know it can work without headsets.

Jan 6, 2021 7:42 AM in response to pogacsa

pogacsa wrote:

No. I am using Macs internal mic and speaker since 2009 for mostly Skype calls for that time, but since many others. The only pain is Google Meet, what is unable to eliminate this echo from a team call. Of course using a headset is making Google life easier as two separate channels for in and output. But if you ever used a conf call over a speaker you know it can work without headsets.

OK, I'll let my School District know that they can save a bunch of money on distribution of headsets with mics if they follow your advice. I expect they'll save millions. I wonder why broadcasting companies, school districts, corporations, etc. don't heed your advice? I wonder why I've had this echo problem on conference calls since the 90's using TeamViewer, Skype, GoToMeeting, etc? Our solution then was to use the computer for the video, mute its audio, and use a dial-in phone connection. We use Google Meet for a few non-school classes and our experience is that it works the same way as our other remote class/conferencing apps when it comes to quality of sound. Last year our school district issued thousands of headset with mics to mitigate the echo from built-in speakers and mics on all apps. We do not use Google Meet for online classes.

Jan 6, 2021 7:53 AM in response to BobTheFisherman

Removing echo from a sound stream is question algorithm (software). You can repeat million times the headset concept. Yes that works, also has the benefit in schools where students sitting next to each other. This is another problem, where multiple separate communications next to each other. But when one person making a call from an office like on phone, you can put on speakers. Noise reduction is a well known technique, not just in IT, also in car industry. Google Meet is unable to strip out speakers self echo from the steam. This used to work with all other major platforms, except with Google Meet.

Jan 7, 2021 10:56 AM in response to pogacsa

Exactly. Been a Zoom user for years and many other videoconferencing systems and only Google has an echo problem. This is not simply a headphone solution issue. We meet with more than one participant on our end. No problems with other platforms. Obviously Apple and Google have a problem(s) beyond our ability to solve. Until this is resolved, I will not use Google Meet.

Continuous echo of sound in joining Google Meet.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.