Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting a new M1 MBP-replacing 2014 MBP-can I wait to be on Big Sur?

Hi-I am one lucky gal to be getting a M1 MacBook Pro (16GB, 1T). It will be replacing my 2014 MBP which is running Catalina. I have read and heard some horror stories about upgrading to Big Sur on my 2014 MBP and would prefer to wait and just run that on my new machine.

Is there any problem with waiting and using Migration Assistant to migrate all my stuff from my Catalina machine to my new M1 Mac?

Anything I should know about the migration from one previous operating system to the newest one? Thank you so much for your help! Judy

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 5, 2020 10:27 AM

7 replies

Dec 5, 2020 10:39 AM in response to mrstee

mrstee wrote:

Hi-I am one lucky gal to be getting a M1 MacBook Pro (16GB, 1T). It will be replacing my 2014 MBP which is running Catalina. I have read and heard some horror stories about upgrading to Big Sur on my 2014 MBP and would prefer to wait and just run that on my new machine.

Is there any problem with waiting and using Migration Assistant to migrate all my stuff from my Catalina machine to my new M1 Mac?

Anything I should know about the migration from one previous operating system to the newest one? Thank you so much for your help! Judy

There is no issue here.

Dec 5, 2020 12:51 PM in response to leroydouglas

Setup Assistant is the software that runs on initial power-on, and never again. leroydouglas kindly provided a link, above.

It uses the same basic mechanism as Migration Assistant, but is vastly preferable because it does not leave you with "extra" users.

If you proceed with initial setup WITHOUT having your data available for transfer at that moment, then Migration Assistant is the second-best way to transfer your information. 'Rules of engagement' are otherwise the same.

Getting a new M1 MBP-replacing 2014 MBP-can I wait to be on Big Sur?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.