Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to move from MacBook Pro / Catalina to Mac Mini / Big Sur?

I've read a bunch of "similar" questions in this forum, but seem to get mixed responses on the way to proceed.

I currently have a mid-2012 MacBook Pro running Catalina 10.15.7 and have a Mac Mini M1 being delivered in a few days. The MBP has an external USB-attached Time Machine backup.

What is the best way to move my applications and data over to the new Mini? Will I be forced to run Big Sur on this new machine, or does the migration path move Catalina over to it along with my applications and data?

Thanks, Jim

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Dec 6, 2020 9:42 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Dec 6, 2020 10:25 AM in response to Stampguy

You will be given the option to transfer data very early in the setup process. See: Set up your Mac mini - Apple Support

The following article does not mention "directly connected" or any method other than Wi-Fi (it did at a time in the past but doesn't now): Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

This article suggests using an ethernet cable with adapters or a Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) cable: Transfer your data to your new Mac mini - Apple Support

Dec 6, 2020 1:21 PM in response to Stampguy

Strange -- when I go to Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support there is no such wording -- any I've used search several times for several of those words. The only thing close that I find is:

If both computers are using macOS Sierra or later, place them near each other with Wi-Fi  turned on. If either one is using OS X El Capitan or earlier, make sure that both are on the same network.

Seems like the same link is connecting to a different article. They used to include quite a bit of detail about how to connect but that is gone. At any rate, enjoy your new Mac!

Dec 6, 2020 10:00 AM in response to FoxFifth

Couple 'o questions about that Migration Assistant: First off, will that be the one of first things that pops up when I power up the new Mac Mini?

Second, it says that both computers should be connected to the same network, or "directly connected". Both will be on the same wi-fi network, but directly connected probably would be faster. However, how would one do a direct connect between a laptop and the mini?

Jim

Dec 6, 2020 1:15 PM in response to FoxFifth

FoxFifth - in the link there is a box that states "Make sure that the other Mac, Time Capsule, or disk that you are transferring from is connected to the same network or directly connected to this Mac". That is why I asked about a direct connect. Perhaps what they meant to say is that the other Mac needs to go via wi-fi, and the Time Capsule or disk can be direct connect?

So, looks like I'll just do it via the laptop and wi-fi.

Thanks for the help - wish me luck - just got a USP notification that the shipment from China gets here on Monday. :-)

How to move from MacBook Pro / Catalina to Mac Mini / Big Sur?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.